Jays @ Cards GDT, 7:15 CST, Wacha vs. Estrada

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Re: Jays @ Cards GDT, 7:15 CST, Wacha vs. Estrada

Post by dmarx114 »

So what do we have tonight?

Let's recap:

4 errors (really 3. Piscotty got a real unlucky break) which lead to 4 runs allowed.
2 walks that lead to runs in the 7th and 9th.
Gidp with bases loaded.
Piscotty not scoring from second on ball hit off the wall (didn't end up hurting us, but still).
Ill-advised double switch that lead to inferior defense, which lead to winning run scoring.
Hanging 0-2 pitch to Bautista in the 9th.
Hanging change up on 1-2 pitch to American League pitcher with zero career hits.
Matheny voluntarily decreasing the cardinals win probability by bunting in the 9th.

I won't be sleeping well tonight.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

LOL

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

We had to work really hard last night to beat ourselves against a team as banged up as the Blue Jays.

Cardman78
Everyday Player

Post by Cardman78 »

cardinalsx wrote:I think the Martinez at 1B experiment needs to go the way of the Adams in LF experiment.
Agree. At the end of the day, these guys just need to stick to playing the positions printed on their baseball cards. They are major leaguers but at some point you can't hold them completely accountable for not being able to make plays at positions they aren't getting paid to play. Either Mo needs to make some serious adjustments to our 25 man roster to actually improve the defense, or Matheny needs to throw out these weird double-switches/platoons and stick to a more stationary lineup.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Here's the thing, which I have said before. We argue all off season about dollars, contracts, WAR, and everything else that we like discussing on how a team is constructed. We knew going into the season that this team has a decent lineup, but one that can be pitched to. We knew the team has a capable rotation, but 4 of the 5 starters will always have question marks. We knew the bullpen will be inconsistent throughout the year.

But one thing that is confusing the heck out of me, and not something that is ever discussed during the off season, is how the entire team can make so many fundamental mistakes on a nightly basis. So all our talk about Mo, Dewitt, contracts, payrolls, WAR......it means nothing if you can't throw the ball to first base and you can't run the bases.

We are losing games because the best baseball players in the world are consistently making mental and physical mistakes that you wouldn't see at the 5th grade level. And it's incredibly frustrating and disappointing.

And no, I did not sleep well at all last night.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

Yes. I said it somewhere in the GDT, but the players the Cardinals have brought along and believe are going to be core players -- Wong, Piscotty, Grichuk and Diaz -- are fundamentally deficient in so many areas.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Just amazing that this team became a glaringly bad fundamental team as soon as Oquendo disappeared. If he was the glue (we knew he was the Secret Weapon), then it should seem an easy fix.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Still, that Coghlan play means Yadi and Busch will be featured on highlight videos for years to come.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Cardman78 wrote:
cardinalsx wrote:I think the Martinez at 1B experiment needs to go the way of the Adams in LF experiment.
Agree. At the end of the day, these guys just need to stick to playing the positions printed on their baseball cards. They are major leaguers but at some point you can't hold them completely accountable for not being able to make plays at positions they aren't getting paid to play. Either Mo needs to make some serious adjustments to our 25 man roster to actually improve the defense, or Matheny needs to throw out these weird double-switches/platoons and stick to a more stationary lineup.
To be fair, we don't have a MLB caliber 1st baseman on this team. Just a few guys that have a 1st base mitt.. Adams showed inability early in the game to field a routine grounder, JoMart couldn't make a crucial decision that any 1st baseman worth his salt should just react to, and frankly, while Marp would've made a better effort on Adams' grounder, I'm not confident that he would've made a better decision than Jose did. This team has avoided putting a true keystone corner guy at that position for more than a season. We are stuck, again, having a bunch of guys that can pass for positional players half the week, but don't fit the bill when all is said and done.

TLR's teams would never be this fundamentally inept... Which leads us directly back to the guy the FO has put their undying faith in; Matheny.