99% conan clips

soriano in center

Post by Jocephus »

http://cubsaz.podcastspot.com/episodes/8C9592

it'll be interesting to see how he does

stlmark
Perennial All-Star

Post by stlmark »

He absolutely has the speed to track down balls in the alleys. It may be a scary sight for cubs fans with him in center. I could be wrong. He did get better in the OF last year as the season went on.

Bo Hart
Perennial All-Star

Post by Bo Hart »

The fact that he's moving to center makes him a MUCH better investment.

cabby7588
All-Star

Post by cabby7588 »

As well as he did in Left last year, I would be creative enough to find him a way to keep him there.

Brodie
Perennial All-Star

Post by Brodie »

He's got to be better than Pierre

-Brodie

DynamicDynamite
Veteran Player

Post by DynamicDynamite »

im interested in seeing how he does... hope it blows up in their face and he either gets moved to second or left and one of their other big signings winds up being a bench player and then they have no center fielder ready

Radio_Bugtussle
Perennial All-Star

Post by Radio_Bugtussle »

For some reason, I get a visual of Lonnie Smith as an every day CF... :lol: :lol:

98navigator
Everyday Player

Post by 98navigator »

DynamicDynamite wrote:im interested in seeing how he does... hope it blows up in their face and he either gets moved to second or left and one of their other big signings winds up being a bench player and then they have no center fielder ready
The Cubs have options for CF. Soriano, right now, is the best option because he is the most athletic and it allows for a smoother rotation of the other guys (Murton, Floyd, Jones) who can only play on the corners. Also, there's no chance that this affects another "big signing." The chances that Soriano ever plays 2B again are extremely remote so he has no chance of supplanting DeRosa. Additionally, Cliff Floyd wasn't signed for big money so if his playing time is cut because Soriano is playing in the corner, instead of CF, it wouldn't be a major issue (especially when Floyd figures to be somewhat limited by a healing achilles). Of course, the possibility exists that Jacque Jones, who's a natural CF, will play there if Soriano doesn't acclimate to the spot but don't be surprised if he is traded. Ultimately, CF will belong to Felix Pie. Once that transition is made, Soriano will be permanently moved to RF.

doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

Post by doe_boy »

If Soriano hits 40+ homers, he could be an absolute butcher in CF and the Cubs probably would grin and bear it until Pie is ready.

Not much room to cover in that OF. They've had Alou, Patterson, and Sammy in a lounger out there and it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

He's athletic enough, but it's a circus act. Think a super athletic version of Chris Duncan playing CF. I would not feel comfortable with him out there every day. But like navigator points out, the Cubs certainly haven't painted themselves into a corner here (no pun intended). There are a lot of other options for CF.

I just don't understand why 2B is such a remote possiblity. DeRosa can't be supplanted? Please. He didn't make the majors until he was 26 and has never really been an everyday player. Before last year, he was somewhere between Joe McEwing and Rex Hudler. Then, at 31, he has a big year in Texas (read: ballpark influenced) and now he's an everyday 2B? I'm not buying.