"Clemens tells Cardinals he's not interested"

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

heyzeus wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:
heyzeus wrote:I've met the other Hendricks (Alan, I believe). He spoke to my sports law class in law school. Clemens really is their bread and butter, sometimes their only client.

I don't think he's a jerk per se, but any agent has to have the flair of a jerk in them to do what they do. I'm guessing he's just sick of every team's beat reporters asking him the same question, and he wanted to make it clear: Clemens isn't coming to (your team), so stop asking.
I don't doubt that he's sick of it, but cry me a river.

Not that's it's necessary in this case, but it can't be a bad thing from an agent's perspective to have people voicing interest in your client.
The thing is, he doesn't need more interest. He doesn't want more interest. Because Clemens doesn't care about that interest, it's just a distraction from his daily work.

Imagine you were an agent with only one free agent client, whom everyone wants. Just like the Hendricks brothers. This client has made it very clear to you and to the public that there are only three teams he'd even consider playing for. And yet every day, every reporter from every team writes an article saying "what if Free Agent Client comes to our squad!"

I think I would issue a statement saying exactly what Hendricks said here. He's not asking for sympathy. He's saying, as a matter of fact, "Clemens will play for one of these three teams. Stop asking."

His agent is going to make millions of dollars off of this contract. I think I'd be OK fielding a few phone calls. Besides, nobody believes agents, even when they say that their guy only wants to play for one of three teams. If the this Hendricks cat has any aspirations of fielding other clients at some point, he'd better start building a relationship with the GM's.

If he wants people to stop calling, then make your freakin' decision already.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

heyzeus wrote: The thing is, he doesn't need more interest. He doesn't want more interest. Because Clemens doesn't care about that interest, it's just a distraction from his daily work.
I get all that, but teams aren't there to make life easy for agents. They serve their own interests. I certainly don't blame any team for asking and the response seems unnecessarily testy, given the wishy-washy nature of everything Clemens does in the offseason lately.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

ghostrunner wrote:
heyzeus wrote: The thing is, he doesn't need more interest. He doesn't want more interest. Because Clemens doesn't care about that interest, it's just a distraction from his daily work.
I get all that, but teams aren't there to make life easy for agents. They serve their own interests. I certainly don't blame any team for asking and the response seems unnecessarily testy, given the wishy-washy nature of everything Clemens does in the offseason lately.
My guess is he's more tired fielding calls from media than teams.

I'm also waiting for him to come out and say what we all know: "Clemens is going to play. We're just waiting for one of these three teams to give him everything he wants."

M1IRONMIKE
Well hello, pilgrim

Post by M1IRONMIKE »

BITE ME ROGER AND YOUR AGENT CAN BITE ME TOO.....WE DON'T WANT YOU!!!!!!

taxman
Veteran Player

Post by taxman »

Clemens absolutely cares about the interest. He is the gretest pitcher I have ever seen, but he is also the biggest drama queen I have ever seen.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

taxman wrote:
Clemens absolutely cares about the interest. He is the gretest pitcher I have ever seen, but he is also the biggest drama queen I have ever seen.
Clemens probably does. My point was that his agent, the one dealing with all the phone calls and media inquiries, probably doesn't.

taxman
Veteran Player

Post by taxman »

Sorry, I misunderstood.

But I would argue that Hendricks cares about what Hamlet tells him to care about. It's the nature of being an agent.