Wainwright's Spring

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

ghostrunner wrote:Wow, I realize how big the pitches were, but Wainwright's really getting the major press this Spring.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10040895

Dare I say I haven't seen this kind of buzz over a young Cardinals' pitcher since....? uhhh, no.
What? We can't say Estaban Yan anymore? Man, I thought that guy was gonna go places...

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

vinsanity wrote:
GatewaySnayke wrote:I think the concern of Wainwright as a starter was never really warranted.
Disagree...here is the concern:
Fan_In_NY wrote:I've never questioned his ability to get 7-12 outs, its getting 21 or so every time out that worries me.
He hasn't proven he can get 18+ Major League Outs yet.

Bingo.

He can get hitters out once, but what about when he goes 2 or 3 times through a lineup? Does he have enough in his arsenal to keep them guessing? I'm not convinced.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Socnorb11 wrote:
vinsanity wrote:
GatewaySnayke wrote:I think the concern of Wainwright as a starter was never really warranted.
Disagree...here is the concern:
Fan_In_NY wrote:I've never questioned his ability to get 7-12 outs, its getting 21 or so every time out that worries me.
He hasn't proven he can get 18+ Major League Outs yet.

Bingo.

He can get hitters out once, but what about when he goes 2 or 3 times through a lineup? Does he have enough in his arsenal to keep them guessing? I'm not convinced.
I'm also concerned about his stamina getting through a tough 20-30 pitch inning without tiring at the end and giving up a multi-HR bomb on a hanging curve ball. We haven't really seen him do that yet this spring either.

--P--

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

As an added bonus, AW is also a lifetime .500 hitter!

(3 for 6 with a HR).