"Aces" in baseball

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

valley_card22 wrote:So do you think Webb is an ace or borderline or future?
I'd say ace. If I had Brandon Webb, I'd stick him right at the front of my rotation and I'd have no qualms about it.

valley_card22
All-Star

Post by valley_card22 »

I dont know. Maybe I just dont know alot about him. Im not trying to start an agruement, more of a talk about whats/whos an ace, who's not.

maddash
is eerily well-versed on Project Runway and irony

Post by maddash »

Kyle wrote:
RC21 wrote:I'd put Zambrano on the True Ace list, but it's so subjective. If Liriano comes back full strength or even close, he'll be on there too.
I believe that Zambrano is a bonafide ace.

An ERA+ over 130 over a four year span is pretty darn impressive.
Zambrano is great, but I still think he walks way too many people to be considered an Ace. It's close though. Z's BB/G was 4.9 last year.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

valley_card22 wrote:I dont know. Maybe I just dont know alot about him. Im not trying to start an agruement, more of a talk about whats/whos an ace, who's not.
Take a look at this.

He's essentially a one-trick-pony, but that one trick is very, very nice.

--P--

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

valley_card22 wrote:I dont know. Maybe I just dont know alot about him. Im not trying to start an agruement, more of a talk about whats/whos an ace, who's not.
Well, like Popeye said, he's not a traditional ace because he does it with a power sinker instead of eye-popping velocity, and doesn't rack up a TON of K's. But he gets plenty, along with a lot of groundballs. It's hard to score on a guy who doesn't let the ball leave the infield. He's like Carp, Jr., with lots of K's and GB's.

He's one of my favorite pitchers to watch.

Also, he's played for some bad Arizona teams, and the BOB has inflated his numbers a bit.

valley_card22
All-Star

Post by valley_card22 »

Thats a pretty good trick. Hey I like ground ball pitchers. I agree with Crash Davis "Stop Trying to strike everyone out!. Besides its boring and facist. Try to get more groundballs, its more democratic."