Outfield Competition

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Phyrkrakr
All-Star

Outfield Competition

Post by Phyrkrakr »

I'm assuming a starting outfield of Edmonds, Duncan, and Encarnacion, but check out the early competition for the fourth and fifth outfielders.

Yes, yes, I know it's one week into spring training, but this is by far the most interesting competition happening right now. The rotation isn't going to shake out for another week at the earliest.

Code: Select all

Name            AB    OBP    SLG    AVG
1. S Taguchi    12   .083   .083   .083
2. P Wilson     9    .111   .111   .111
3. J Rodriguez  11   .571   .455   .455
4. S Schumaker  13   .429   .385   .385
5. R Ankiel     12   .385   .333   .333
6. E Marrero    8    .400   .375   .250
Looks like JRod is taking this spring seriously, and Taguchi and Wilson might be in jeopardy of losing their jobs.

Note: I'm not sure if these stats are updated after today's game, they're the ones up on the official site right now.

Suicide_Squeeze
Veteran Player

Post by Suicide_Squeeze »

I've listened to some of the games, and Spezio and Schumaker sound like they are really seeing the ball well, too.

Seriously though. J-Rod always does well at first, doesn't he? Then there's that falling off point where my hope is once again dashed against the sharp rocks of reality.

Dillagii
Perennial All-Star

Post by Dillagii »

I hope JRod gets a bench spot.

Ace
Perennial All-Star

Re: Outfield Competition

Post by Ace »

Phyrkrakr wrote:I'm assuming a starting outfield of Edmonds, Duncan, and Encarnacion, but check out the early competition for the fourth and fifth outfielders.

Yes, yes, I know it's one week into spring training, but this is by far the most interesting competition happening right now. The rotation isn't going to shake out for another week at the earliest.

Looks like JRod is taking this spring seriously, and Taguchi and Wilson might be in jeopardy of losing their jobs.

Note: I'm not sure if these stats are updated after today's game, they're the ones up on the official site right now.
Is there really any chance Taguchi/Wilson aren't on the opening day roster??

Taguchi was a playoff hero last year and Tony loves him.

Preston Wilson has more pop in his bat than any other right handed hitter on the team not named Pujols/Rolen.

M1IRONMIKE
Well hello, pilgrim

Re: Outfield Competition

Post by M1IRONMIKE »

Phyrkrakr wrote:I'm assuming a starting outfield of Edmonds, Duncan, and Encarnacion, but check out the early competition for the fourth and fifth outfielders.

IT IS WAY TOO EARLY TO ANALYZE WHO SHOULD BE THE 4TH AND 5TH OUTFIELDERS AS PITCHERS THIS TIME OF YEAR ARE WORKING ON COMMAND OF THEIR PITCHES AND THE LAST PITCHES THEY GET COMMAND OF ARE BREAKING BALLS. JROD CAN HIT ANYBODIES FASTBALL ITS THE OTHER PITCHES HE STRUGGLES WITH.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

Taguchi and Wilson have guaranteed big-league contracts. Rodriguez has options. A good 11 at-bats in spring training won't change those facts. Rodriguez either needs the Cards to carry six bench players or he needs an injury to make the club.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

DiLLaGii wrote:I hope JRod gets a bench spot.
I hope JRod wins a starting spot.

(ducks and waits for incoming statistical analyses showing why this was a silly thing to even think, much less put in writing....)

clement
Perennial All-Star

Post by clement »

Just due to versatility, if Marrero has a good spring, I think he may be next in line after Wilson and Taguchi, should the Cards go with an extra outfielder. I'm afraid Rodriguez will need to tear up AAA for a while, and wait for a callup due to either injury or poor performance by one of the guys that make the club.

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

I know Taguchi's a fan favorite(and heck I love the guy as well), but I was rather hoping at the end of last season that in '07 Schumaker would start to get a lot of his playing time if not all of it. Taguchi's biggest strength(his defense) began to slip quite a bit last year. He was very tentative on going after short fly balls such that he let a lot of them fall in front of him in fear of them going past him, for example, and you know what you're getting with his bat.

Wouldn't a cheaper, faster, version who can probably provide similar defensive prowess and perhaps even a little better bat(albeit from the left side) be a better choice?

picasso
All-Star

Post by picasso »

Don't forget Jolby Cabrera. Who can play IF and OF and seems to be getting a lot of high marks this spring.