Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Encouraging article about Hawksworth

Post by Hungary Jack »

Hawksworth is improving with help of skilled tutor
By Derrick Goold
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
03/11/2007

JUPITER, FLA. — As injuries conspired to curtail his comet-like climb to the elite of the Cardinals' prospects, Blake Hawksworth had few things he could trust more than his changeup. His fastball lost some velocity, his curve can be petulant, but his loyal changeup remained.

Until he pitched in his second big-league spring game.

Good thing he has picked up a new pitch this past month.

The Cardinals' top pitching prospect has picked up much more than praise in his first spring training with the major league club. He's not out to win a job. He's here for experience.

Starting with learning ace Chris Carpenter's cut fastball.

"I think I endured all these injuries and I know deep down, they made me stronger," Hawksworth said Saturday. "I don't put on the cleats for granted because I spent so much time sitting in the training room, on the table, watching guys progress ahead of me, watching guys compete."

In the two seasons after being ranked the Cardinals' top prospect by Baseball America, Hawksworth pitched 25 1/3 innings from 2004-05. Bone spurs in his ankle and an injury in his shoulder robbed him of his health, and his status. In 2006, he reclaimed both — scaling two levels with an 11-4 record, a 2.92 ERA and, just as important, 163 1/3 innings.

This spring, Hawksworth has caught pitching coach Dave Duncan's eye.

"First of all, he's gotten outs," Duncan said. "If he was going out there and not getting outs he wouldn't have gotten the amount of work he's gotten. I think up until this point, I don't look at it like I'm really considering him for this year. ... Just getting experience might make him that much closer to being a guy that we could legitimately, legitimately consider somewhere in the near future — if we have a need."

Hawksworth was not impressive in his first live batting practice session of the spring. He threw too many of his changes.

Since, he has grown more assertive and, in his words, "scrapped the slider." Duncan encouraged him to tighten up the rotation of the pitch and make a cut fastball out of the slider. Hawksworth also sought suggestions from other pitchers who throw cutters.

Carpenter's is one of the best.

So when his changeup failed him last week against Baltimore, Hawksworth turned to his fastball, his curve (which wasn't reliable last season) and, more than he expected, his cutter.

"I had good results with it; it feels comfortable," Hawksworth said.

It's no coincidence Hawksworth is scheduled to throw on days Carpenter starts, such as Sunday. It's partly conditioning. Hawksworth could make the Class AAA rotation out of spring training. He has retaken his place in the organization even though he hasn't yet regained all the stuff, particularly the mid-90s mph velocity, that made him a premium prospect.

"I pray that (the velocity) does come back someday to where it was," Hawksworth said. "At the same time, not being able to get away with so much has made me a better pitcher, made me smarter."
This is very encouraging. I'd take a guy who knows how to pitch with an 89mph fastball over a guy who throws in the mid-90's anytime, anywhere.

Barring injury, Hawksworth will spend the year at Memphis rebuilding his stamina (another 160 IP season should erase any doubts) and tuning his repertoire. I imagine he'll get a spot start or two in September, but hopefully he's up for good in 2008.

businessmansspecial
Perennial All-Star

Post by businessmansspecial »

They had an interview with him on Ch. 5 this morning for their new weekly show. He said he didn't care if he was the batboy, he wanted up here any way he could.

ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

businessmansspecial wrote:They had an interview with him on Ch. 5 this morning for their new weekly show. He said he didn't care if he was the batboy, he wanted up here any way he could.
He couldn't carry Josh's jock.

Phyrkrakr
All-Star

Post by Phyrkrakr »

ZigZagCardsFan wrote:
businessmansspecial wrote:They had an interview with him on Ch. 5 this morning for their new weekly show. He said he didn't care if he was the batboy, he wanted up here any way he could.
He couldn't carry Josh's jock.
Generally, I don't think that's included in the duties of a batboy... :)

stlmark
Perennial All-Star

Post by stlmark »

I'm very encouraged. For those of you that have seen him pitch, does he have the makeup of a major league pitcher?