GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 23 19, 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19 07, 10:20 am 
Hall Of Famer

Jay Randolph is awful.

I have no sentiment tied to him, so I don't feel bad saying that. He sounds more like a guy who should be calling a tense horse shoe match more than a baseball game.

I, like Valley, miss Bob Carpenter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19 07, 10:23 am 
Hall Of Famer

Bob Carpenter is terrible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19 07, 10:56 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

I'm hoping it's just a spring training thing, but I thought it was unbelievably dull. I gave it a pass because usually the radio broadcast is pretty dull too during spring.

But from how it sounded yesterday, Pujols could hit a game winning HR, and it would sound like Ernie Els made a birdie putt on the 4th hole of the 2nd round at some meaningless golf tournament. Yes, that incredible level of excitement.

--P--

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19 07, 11:04 am 
Perennial All-Star

The thing about Jay Randolph is that I don't think he was good back in the day either. He does/did have an okay voice, but he always said loony stuff. I can remember me and my friends always not liking his broadcasts on Channel 5 (was it?). Of course comparing him to Jack Buck made it a pretty tough sell, but at least Shannon provided comedy. Jay was just kinda stiff, dull, and well, not very well informed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19 07, 12:03 pm 
Perennial All-Star

I'm not sure where the Randolph/Shannon comparisons come in. No comparison, in my opinion.

I never liked Randolph when he did the games 25+ years ago. In fact, he was my least favorite announcer back then. I don't hate the guy...seems like a nice enough fellow but outside of the slight sentimental factor, it's going to get old real quick. I feel bad for Horton. Do you correct your partner when he says that Carpenter makes the catch out in left field?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19 07, 12:06 pm 
Perennial All-Star

clement wrote:
The thing about Jay Randolph is that I don't think he was good back in the day either. He does/did have an okay voice, but he always said loony stuff. I can remember me and my friends always not liking his broadcasts on Channel 5 (was it?). Of course comparing him to Jack Buck made it a pretty tough sell, but at least Shannon provided comedy. Jay was just kinda stiff, dull, and well, not very well informed.

I agree with everything you've said here.

I find that there's something depressing about him calling the game. Just doesn't seem like a major league baseball announcer. Of course Al and Dan don't fill me with enthusiasm either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19 07, 1:26 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
Wow. I can't believe Jay Randolph is still around. He must be pushing 80.

And I grew up with him too. Yes, he has (or had anyway) a nice voice, but there was nothing behind it. It would be interesting to hear if he sounds the same today, but I always kind of viewed him as an empty suit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19 07, 2:42 pm 
Perennial All-Star

I don't remember much about Randolph from when he called the games from before.

He doesn't seem sharp, but it could be the view from the ST pressbox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19 07, 2:49 pm 
Perennial All-Star

He'd be a perfect bowling announcer. Or ladies golf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19 07, 3:09 pm 
is eerily well-versed on Project Runway and irony

Richie Allen wrote:
He'd be a perfect bowling announcer. Or ladies golf.

I have to chuckle when I see people talking about golf, or bowling or horseshoes. I mean, we ARE talking about baseball here, not football or basketball or hockey. Baseball is a slow moving, station-to-station, sport. I'm reluctant to call it boring, because I love the game so much, but yeah, it's a 90% boring sport with moments of great excitement and tension.

Why would Randolph be a bad fit for a game that's often enjoyed with a cold beer in a comfy recliner? He's not an edge-of-your-seat kind of announcer, but baseball most certainly isn't an edge-of-your-seat kind of game.

All that said, I'm like Jim and a few others here, my admiration for Jay comes with a great deal of positive nostalgia.