Busch Stadium now smoke free

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Jocephus wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:It wouldn't have bothered me if the people that smoked ACTUALLY stayed in the smoking areas. Too many times would I just see people smoking where ever they please.
i was at a royals game, and we are behind the visitors dugout a few rows back, and this guy (who i think moved to the seat towards the later innings) just started smoking, right in his seat. dont think he got in trouble either.
That's just assinine.

Molly
Perennial All-Star

Post by Molly »

According to Lamping there will be 3 gates designated for smokers to leave the stadium & return.

JohnnyJay
Perennial All-Star

Post by JohnnyJay »

FOX 2 just did a report on this. They interviewed a ticket holder since 1984 who was furious (she was a smoker) and said she would be selling her tickets. :shock:

Get a grip!

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

JohnnyJay wrote:FOX 2 just did a report on this. They interviewed a ticket holder since 1984 who was furious (she was a smoker) and said she would be selling her tickets. :shock:

Get a grip!
I had to laugh at that lady. Give up something you've loved to do for over 20 years because you can't go w/o a cigarette for 3 hours. #-o

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

JohnnyJay wrote:FOX 2 just did a report on this. They interviewed a ticket holder since 1984 who was furious (she was a smoker) and said she would be selling her tickets. :shock:

Get a grip!
Cool. I wonder if I could get a deal on her seats...

--P--

mcgee51taguchi99
Perennial All-Star
Location: Crying/injoyin watching tha Crew in tha Playoffs!!!

Post by mcgee51taguchi99 »

The news just keeps getting better for smokers.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/s ... enDocument
Cards will offer no TV to smokers
By Patrick M. O'Connell
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
03/21/2007

ST. LOUIS — Cardinals fans who cannot resist the urge to smoke during games at Busch Stadium this season will have to time their breaks between innings if they don't want to miss an Albert Pujols home run or a Chris Carpenter strikeout.

TV monitors will not be available for smokers at the newly established smoking areas outside Gates 2, 4 and 6, Cardinals President Mark Lamping said in an e-mail interview.

Smokers will be able to follow games via the radio broadcast on radio station KTRS, which will be piped from speakers into the areas near the exit/re-entry gates.

"We'll monitor how that is working once the season starts," Lamping said.

Installation of TVs for smoking fans may be considered as the season progresses, Lamping said.

On Monday, the team banned smoking throughout Busch Stadium, forcing smokers to the sidewalks outside the ballpark, where they can roam as they wish. Ticketholders will have their hands stamped to get back into the park.

"We'll ask our fans to be courteous and respect the no-smoking policy as they currently respect all Busch Stadium policies," Lamping said.

Fans with concerns can call the Cardinals ticket office.

Busch Stadium joins Chase Field in Phoenix, Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, Petco Park in San Diego, Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati, Safeco Field in Seattle, Fenway Park in Boston and Yankee Stadium in New York as open-air or retractable-roof ballparks with complete smoking bans.

Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City allows smoking in designated areas, where fans can follow the games on TVs and radio.

Smoking is prohibited inside the Edward Jones Dome and fans can be ejected for lighting up, according to the Rams' website. Smoking is permitted on the second floor of a bar inside the Scottrade Center. In both venues, smokers can go outside for a cigarette and return with a ticket stub, similar to the new Busch Stadium policy.

Several fans interviewed about the Busch Stadium smoking ban said the Cardinals were "going the way of California." But three of California's five major league baseball facilities — AT&T Park in San Francisco, McAfee Coliseum in Oakland and Angel Stadium in Anaheim, Calif. — allow smoking inside the parks on a limited basis.

One fan who called the Post-Dispatch but declined to give his name said he and his friends, who all smoke, are searching for alternatives this season in an effort to fulfill their nicotine cravings.

"A bunch of us are just going to start bringing chewing tobacco," he said.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

I guess he didn't read the policy because that's not allowed either :lol:

Not sure how they'll enforce that one though.

stlmark
Perennial All-Star

Post by stlmark »

cardinalkarp wrote:

If that's true, Are they going to stop Chris Duncan from doing it also? :wink:

JohnnyJay
Perennial All-Star

Post by JohnnyJay »

cardinalkarp wrote:

How can they ban chewing tobacco? Now that is something I'd have an issue with, even though I don't chew. I understand the smoking ban, and as a smoker, I'll deal with it. I'm not that hard up that I can't wait a few hours to have a smoke. But, what's the problem with chewing tobacco?

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

cardinalkarp wrote:

Why is chewing tobacco not allowed? That gets to the issue I brought up a while back, this is becoming a morality issue. There is no reason why my dipping snuff will have any impact on anyone sitting around me.

p.s. This policy will have 0 impact on me. I will continue to partake, and unless they get a search warrant to rip the stuff out of my mouth there is no way they will know for sure.