GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 23 19, 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Interesting question
PostPosted: March 21 07, 9:05 am 
Offline
Veteran Player
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 8:10 pm
Posts: 1105
Location: Not far from Weiner Cutoff Rd.
On Mike and Mike in the Morning today, Mike Greenberg brought up an interesting question. He was talking with Buster Olney about the value of pitchers vs. position players. Here's the question: If you emptied all MLB rosters and held an open draft (salaries don't matter, for the sake of discussion), what would the list of top 10 players chosen look like--assuming all teams' goals are to win the World Series this year?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21 07, 9:11 am 
Offline
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am
Posts: 27129
If salaries made no difference, I'd imagine it would look like this (in no particular order):

Pujols
Vlad
Manny
Cabrera
Santana
Carpenter
A-Rod
Halladay
Peavy
Beltran

Basically, what the first 10 picks in your fantasy draft would look like if defense were taken into consideration too, and steals weren't as important.

NOTE: My list may be a bit NL heavy.

--P--


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Interesting question
PostPosted: March 21 07, 9:15 am 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm
Posts: 24343
Bama_Card_Fan wrote:
On Mike and Mike in the Morning today, Mike Greenberg brought up an interesting question. He was talking with Buster Olney about the value of pitchers vs. position players. Here's the question: If you emptied all MLB rosters and held an open draft (salaries don't matter, for the sake of discussion), what would the list of top 10 players chosen look like--assuming all teams' goals are to win the World Series this year?



Pujols
ARod
Santana
Carpenter
Vlad
Berkman
Derrek Lee
Miguel Cabrera
Jeter (someone would do it)
Rivera (ditto)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21 07, 9:18 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: January 20 07, 1:57 am
Posts: 4103
Location: redbirdsnation
Popeye_Card wrote:
If salaries made no difference, I'd imagine it would look like this (in no particular order):

Pujols
Vlad
Manny
Cabrera
Santana
Carpenter
A-Rod
Halladay
Peavy
Beltran

Basically, what the first 10 picks in your fantasy draft would look like if defense were taken into consideration too, and steals weren't as important.

NOTE: My list may be a bit NL heavy.

--P--


I agree with that list Popeye, but I would drop Peavy and add Oswalt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21 07, 9:18 am 
Offline
Mother Earth
User avatar

Joined: July 24 06, 6:03 am
Posts: 19542
Location: In Cognito
I think you'd find 3 starters, a closer, and up-the-middle position players and then corner IF.
My guess:
1. Santana
2. Halladay
3. Oswalt/Carp/Webb

4. Nathan

5. Mauer
6. Reyes
7. Utley
8. Gary Matthews Jr. (just kidding) -- Beltran/Sizemore/Wells

9. Albert
10. A-Rod/Rolen/Crede


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21 07, 9:21 am 
Offline
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am
Posts: 27129
stlmark wrote:
I agree with that list Popeye, but I would drop Peavy and add Oswalt.


A valid swap. I'd probably go that route too.

And possibly Berkman before Manny as well.

--P--


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21 07, 9:23 am 
Offline
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am
Posts: 27129
Hungary Jack wrote:
10. A-Rod/Rolen/Crede


Please tell me that you are joking. I may not select him if I was just choosing 10 3B's.

--P--


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21 07, 9:30 am 
Offline
Everday Unicorn
User avatar

Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Posts: 34787
Location: Austin, TX
Liriano would be a close call for me too. Shame about the TJ surgery.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21 07, 9:33 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: January 20 07, 1:57 am
Posts: 4103
Location: redbirdsnation
Popeye_Card wrote:
stlmark wrote:
I agree with that list Popeye, but I would drop Peavy and add Oswalt.


A valid swap. I'd probably go that route too.

And possibly Berkman before Manny as well.

--P--


I think I would take Berkman over Manny too. Younger and better defense.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21 07, 9:56 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 7:22 pm
Posts: 5052
Location: Birthplace of Baseball- Hoboken, NJ
Wright and/or Reyes would need to be on that list. I wonder where someone would take someone like Alex Gordon...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group