GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 16 19, 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21 07, 5:18 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
robbotis wrote:
TimmyG wrote:
I'm sorry, but I don't think Papelbon and Wainwright are equal. Papelbon was lights out in the Red Sox bullpen as their closer. Papelbon has always been more highly regarded, and put up better numbers in the minor leagues. Wainwright had a good year in the pen. But Wainwright has had how many major league starts? How many save opportunities did he have last year?

I love Wainwright and I'm extremely excited to see what he does. But I don't think he is better or even equal to Papelbon. Good to see him get some respect though.

I don't see how Papelbn has been more highly regarded. Unless your drinking the East Coast Kool-Aid. Wainwright peaked at #18 on the Baseball Americas Best Prospect Rankings and was in the top 100 four times. Papelbon peaked at #37, and was only on the top 100 list twice. So, there's no way that if Papelbon didn't pitch for Boston (or New York) that people would think he was a CAN'T MISS prospect. Check the link.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/26983.html

It's because Wainwright stalled in the high minors, leading to him dropping from those lists for the previous 2 seasons when he was still a minor league pitcher. No such dropoff from Papelbon.

It's also because Papelbon was an elite college pitcher who only made around 50 minor league appearances before reaching the majors to stay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21 07, 6:09 pm 
Next Gen Wart

the point of my comment wasn't to say which is better but to just point out the fact that wainwright is starting to get similar hype to what papelbon gets, which is really quite an accomplishment.

I honestly thought that Reyes had a higher ceiling than Wainwright last season, and I still believe that now. (i'd rate our starters in this order: Carp, Reyes, Wainwright, Wells, Looper.. I think we have a very good chance of having 4 starters with ERAs under 4)

Maybe we should all just sit back and enjoy the fact that our favorite baseball team is in the envyiable position of having two young arms with tons of potential in their rotation.

PostPosted: March 21 07, 6:20 pm 
All-Star

mikechamp wrote:
5) The experience Wainwright had last year. Delivering in not one, but 2 of "teh clutchest" situations he'll ever have to face will IMO give him confidence that he'll be able to draw from forever. I didn't even read the article about Wainwright and attitude, but you could tell last post-season, he had guile and poise and determination well beyond his years.

that was the most impressive progress i think we saw with wainwright... he looked like a mature pitcher...