Prior out, Miller in

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

98navigator wrote:FYI, Cubs beat writer, Bruce Miles, watched Prior pitch today. He gave up 3 unearned runs and Miles says he is probably going to be back in the rotation within 2-3 weeks to a month! He said Prior looked better today than his last outing when he surrendered only 1 ER.

Link
I was wondering how his start went today. He'll be back...if for no other reason, than Wade Miller will soon be hurt again.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

98navigator wrote:FYI, Cubs beat writer, Bruce Miles, watched Prior pitch today. He gave up 3 unearned runs and Miles says he is probably going to be back in the rotation within 2-3 weeks to a month! He said Prior looked better today than his last outing when he surrendered only 1 ER.

Link
So the good news is, he had his very best outing today.

The bad news is that he still only managed 3 innings, gave up 3 hits, a walk, 2 wild pitches, and only one ground-out compared to 5 fly-outs.

Prior as a 5th-starter type doesn't help the Cubs much. They've got plenty of options for the 5th spot.

98navigator
Everyday Player

Post by 98navigator »

Socnorb11 wrote:

Link

The bad news is that he still only managed 3 innings, gave up 3 hits, a walk, 2 wild pitches, and only one ground-out compared to 5 fly-outs.

Prior as a 5th-starter type doesn't help the Cubs much. They've got plenty of options for the 5th spot.
He's up to 60 pitches--They weren't looking for a deep outing today but the defense robbed him of at least another inning. He went longer in his last start. When Prior returns he will pitch 3 and Marquis 5 (that's what Lou said before Miller won the spot). Piniella wants a RLRLR rotation.

Who cares about flyouts? You can't determine if they were pop outs or warning track shots from the box score. A reliable source said he looked appreciably better.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

98navigator wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

Link

He's up to 60 pitches--They weren't looking for a deep outing today but the defense robbed him of at least another inning. He went longer in his last start. When Prior returns he will pitch 3 and Marquis 5 (that's what Lou said before Miller won the spot). Piniella wants a RLRLR rotation.

60 pitches is swell, but you don't want a guy to throw 60 pitches in 3 innings very often.

I'm not sure what credence there is in a RLRLR rotation. When was the last time a team made a deep run into the post-season using that strategy?

I hope that Prior is fine, but I can't believe that Cubs are still buying into what the beat-writers say. Prior has been the saving-grace for the Cubs going into the last 3 seasons, and hasn't panned out. At some point the Cubs (and their fans and writers) should learn to expect very little from Prior, and then anything that he provides will be a pleasant surprise, rather than being disappointed every year when he doesn't live up to expectations.

98navigator
Everyday Player

Post by 98navigator »

Socnorb11 wrote:
98navigator wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
98navigator wrote:FYI, Cubs beat writer, Bruce Miles, watched Prior pitch today. He gave up 3 unearned runs and Miles says he is probably going to be back in the rotation [within 2-3 weeks to a month! He said Prior looked better today than his last outing when he surrendered only 1 ER.

Link

60 pitches in 3 innnings sounds about right for Prior.

I'm not sure what credence there is in a RLRLR rotation. When was the last time a team made a deep run into the post-season using that strategy?

I hope that Prior is fine, but I can't believe that Cubs are still buying into what the beat-writers say. Prior has been the saving-grace for the Cubs going into the last 3 seasons, and hasn't panned out. At some point the Cubs (and their fans and writers) should learn to expect very little from Prior, and then anything that he provides will be a pleasant surprise, rather than being disappointed every year when he doesn't live up to expectations.
OK, I guess Piniella doesn't know anything about winning in the postseason. :?:

Whatever, that rotation is for the regular season. Who has a 5-man postseason rotation?

Hmmm, ok, Prior made 27 starts in 2005 (the same season he was struck by a line drive). Stop acting like he hasn't been available since 2003.

Oh yeah, did I say the Cubs were expecting anything? NO! I said the beat writer is reporting he isn't far away from a return. He's healthy, he just needs arm strength.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

98navigator wrote:

Whatever, that rotation is for the regular season. Who has a 5-man postseason rotation?

Hmmm, ok, Prior made 27 starts in 2005. Stop acting like he hasn't been available since 2003.

I wasn't referring to a RLRLR rotation in the playoffs, so much. In that case, I'm sure it would just be RLRL. But how many times has a team even MADE the playoffs by using a RLRLR strategy? Like I said, there's just no substance to that strategy. I'm not saying that his rotation won't be successful, but you want your best 5 starters, regardless of which arm they throw with.

98navigator
Everyday Player

Post by 98navigator »

Socnorb11 wrote:
98navigator wrote:

Hmmm, ok, Prior made 27 starts in 2005. Stop acting like he hasn't been available since 2003.

I wasn't referring to a RLRLR rotation in the playoffs, so much. In that case, I'm sure it would just be RLRL. But how many times has a team even MADE the playoffs by using a RLRLR strategy? Like I said, there's just no substance to that strategy. I'm not saying that his rotation won't be successful, but you want your best 5 starters, regardless of which arm they throw with.
Who cares? Seriously, I'm not trying to be smart but I think you're over analyzing it. That's what he wants, I wouldn't read too much into it. It's simple, if the pitchers are effective the team will win (without regard for the order in which they pitch).

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Just a small jab. All in good fun. :)

vh2k6
Veteran Player

Post by vh2k6 »

Socnorb11 wrote:
98navigator wrote:

Why does it matter what order they're in? Currently, we have the best 5 starters in the rotation. We'll see in a couple of weeks after Prior progresses some.

ndistops
All-Star

Post by ndistops »

I can't remember one thing I haven't liked about Lou since he arrived.