8/29/07 GDT-Cardinals (Wells) at Astros (Oswalt) 7:05 CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
haltz
Hall Of Famer

Re: 8/29/07 GDT-Cardinals (Wells) at Astros (Oswalt) 7:05 CT

Post by haltz »

Cronos69 wrote:today he exhibited all of the mannerisms and body language that was the May-July Wells.
I tuned in too late to see most of his start, but I'm assuming he walked some dudes, hung some pitches, and obviously we're getting beat pretty badly. I think that's just the nature of Kip Wells. Those days are going to happen along with the flashes of good stuff and decent command.

I really think that the body language that everyone seems to hate so much is just an effect of him getting beat. He's not doing some sort of Jeckyl and Hyde thing here, it just appears that way. People want to blame the results on the attitude, but if there's any attitude discrepancy I'd blame it on the results.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

haltz wrote: I really think that the body language that everyone seems to hate so much is just an effect of him getting beat. He's not doing some sort of Jeckyl and Hyde thing here, it just appears that way. People want to blame the results on the attitude, but if there's any attitude discrepancy I'd blame it on the results.
I think that's what people are keying on, haltz. His tendency to wilt (shown by his defeatist mannerisms) when facing any kind of adversity.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

planet pujolsian wrote:I think that's what people are keying on, haltz. His tendency to wilt (shown by his defeatist mannerisms) when facing any kind of adversity.
I'm only talking about his mannerisms. I don't think his Agony of Defeat faces mean anything. Over his career he has a lower OPSa with runners on than with the bases empty. This year he does not, but in another year it might be the other way around. He's just not very good sometimes and people draw conclusions about his mentality from that because he's a pitcher.

The deity of Hortanity is talking about a "relapse" right now. I just think it's simpler than that.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

so did we lose? i left around the 7th.

greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Post by greenback44 »

Offroading in a bandwagon.

He's Kip Wells. He's not that good. We can talk about his movement and his radar gun readings and maybe even his FIPs, but it still comes back to his inability to put the ball where he wants. I doubt Roy Oswalt can dunk, but it's not due to a character flaw. Same goes for Kip Wells.