Karma visited San Diego yesterday

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
KyCardinalFan
Perennial All-Star

Re: Karma visited San Diego yesterday

Post by KyCardinalFan »

On Mike and Mike, they had a quote from the first base coach who said he couldn't believe the actions of the ump. The ump wouldn't let it drop. Even though Bradley has a history of being a hot-head, I'd like to wait and see more facts come out before condemning him. There's enough stories and videos of 'nice' guys who battle through anyone and everyone to get at someone if the right wrong thing is said.

Shame an injury had to happen that way.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

I've condemned Bradley enough for the rest of his career based on his past. Nothing he does now will take away or add to it really. :D

mcgee51taguchi99
Perennial All-Star
Location: Crying/injoyin watching tha Crew in tha Playoffs!!!

Post by mcgee51taguchi99 »

KyCardinalFan wrote:Even though Bradley has a history of being a hot-head, I'd like to wait and see more facts come out before condemning him.
Watch the video. Whether or not someone goaded him into it, MB once again acted like a complete lunatic on the field. It's doubtful MB will ever learn his lesson, that's at least three major incidents I can think of where he has gone completely off the deep end. He needs to quit acting like he is above the game.

And I actually like watching the guy . . .

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

KyCardinalFan wrote:On Mike and Mike, they had a quote from the first base coach who said he couldn't believe the actions of the ump. The ump wouldn't let it drop. Even though Bradley has a history of being a hot-head, I'd like to wait and see more facts come out before condemning him. There's enough stories and videos of 'nice' guys who battle through anyone and everyone to get at someone if the right wrong thing is said.

Shame an injury had to happen that way.
By his own account though, he raised an issue with an ump that he should have left alone.

omaha_red
Hall Of Famer

Post by omaha_red »

here's the video.. not sure if the actual video was on the original post..

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/vid ... Id=2378529

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

A 30-game suspension for Winters sounds about right. It's time umpires kept their mouth shut. They're not the show.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

YORK (AP) -- Umpire Mike Winters was suspended by Major League Baseball for the remainder of the regular season on Wednesday because of his confrontation with San Diego's Milton Bradley last weekend.

The Padres claimed Winters baited Bradley, who has a history of losing his temper. Bradley tore a knee ligament when his manager spun him to the ground while trying to keep him from going after the umpire during Sunday's 7-3 loss to Colorado in San Diego.

Winters was suspended because the commissioner's office concluded he had used a profanity aimed at Bradley, a baseball official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the reasoning for the suspension was not announced.

Padres manager Bud Black declined to comment.

"In this case, I think it's best for my position to just stay away from it," he said by phone from San Francisco, where the Padres were to finish a series against the Giants on Wednesday night.

The 48-year-old Winters became a major league umpire in 1990 and worked the World Series in 2002 and last year.

Winters became the first umpire suspended since 2003, when Bruce Froemming and John Hirschbeck each were suspended for 10 days. Froemming made an anti-Semitic slur about an umpiring administrator and baseball said Hirschbeck threatened a senior official in the commissioner's office.

Bob Watson, baseball's vice president in charge of discipline, has not decided whether to penalize Bradley, the commissioner's office said.

Bradley tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee and will need surgery, which is expected to sideline him for at least six months. His injury was a blow to the Padres, who began Wednesday with a one-game lead over Colorado and Philadelphia in the NL wild-card race.

Trouble began when plate umpire Brian Runge asked Bradley if he had flipped his bat in the ump's direction after taking a called third strike that ended the fifth inning. Runge indicated that Winters told him that Bradley had.

The dispute escalated after Bradley singled, then asked Winters if he told Runge he threw his bat.

First base coach Bobby Meacham and Black said Winters used profanity. Bradley called it "the most unprofessional and most ridiculous thing I've ever seen."

"It's terrible. And now, because of him, my knee's hurt," he said after the game. "If this costs me my season because of that, he needs to be reprimanded. I'm taking some action. I'm not going to stand pat and accept this because I didn't do nothing wrong."

AP Sports Writer Bernie Wilson in San Diego contributed to this report.

Updated on Wednesday, Sep 26, 2007 3:05 pm, EDT

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Lawdy, baseball players have fragile knees.

KyCardinalFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by KyCardinalFan »

Has/Will Bradley receive any reprimand or fine?

If not, that says a lot. It must be more than 'profanity'.