Chris Duncan Trade Proposals

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Radio_Bugtussle
Perennial All-Star

Re: Chris Duncan Trade Proposals

Post by Radio_Bugtussle »

Hungary Jack wrote:I like Baby Dunc, but he is our most marketable trading chip, and we have a relative surplus of corner OF.

I would consider a Duncan for Zach Greinke swap. I am not sure the Royals would. Greinke is arbitration eligible, and the Royals are desparate for some power (only one player with >100 AB exceeded 100 OPS+ in 2007), but Greinke shows signs of coming into his own and probably will command a bigger price. Might Duncan + Thompson for Greinke get it done?
First, I'm opposed to the idea of trading Duncan The Younger.

Greinke had some sort of meltdown a couple years ago. If he's over that, he's a high quality SP and he almost certainly figures in the Royals long term plans.

Dayton Moore says all the right things. The question is whether David Glass will actually fork over the bucks to make it work over there. He allowed some spending last winter, but I could see him doing a Billy Bidwill and cutting off the funding when the Royals are on the verge of becoming a legit post season contender.

I also can't see the Royals trading a pitcher with a potential big contract coming for a position player with a potential big contract.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Re: Chris Duncan Trade Proposals

Post by Jmodene »

C2k7 wrote:If Dave Duncan returns, I wonder how accepting he would be of a Chris Duncan trade. Even if it meant getting a good pitcher in exchange for his son.

But I do think trading Duncan to an AL team makes a world of sense. Duncan needs to become a DH in order to extend his peak years. I think someone with his body type will decline relatively quickly if he continues to play in the field.
I think baseball people aren't as sentimental in that regard as we'd like to think they are. The Expos, for instance, let Moises Alou go free agent even though his father, Felipe, was still managing them - and the Yankees cut Tim Berra while Yogi was still working for them.

Happens all the time. Very few fathers-and-sons actually are with the same team at the same time, and those few that have done so don't stay together long. They realize that's just the way the game is, and besides, DD has said something in the past about it being OK with him if Chris were to be traded, as long as it was good for Chris and good for the Cards. A deal of Duncan for a really good starting pitcher, I suspect, would qualify.

As cheap as Oakland is, maybe they'd take Duncan and Reyes for the increasingly-expensive Dan Haren. ;)