Dane Iorg's Greatest Game Evar!

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Re: Dane Iorg's Greatest Game Evar!

Post by Jmodene »

Dragging the thread back onto the track a bit, in the sense of "greatest games by not-so-great players", wouldn't Freddie Patek's 3-homer game be up there? Admittedly, Patek was a pretty decent player, but he's the last guy you'd ever expect to hit three homers in a game.

As far as "being there" for historic occasions, I was at JJ's no-hitter in 1999 at BOB, and back in 1971 (May 29) I was at Busch when Darrell Evans hit his first major league homer. I was also at Ozzie Smith's last game at Dodger Stadium in 1996. And, that's about it, I think. Oh wait - I was at the game *before* and the game that *ended* Bob Gibson's 10-game winning streak in 1970. In fact, I never saw Gibby win a game until May 6, 1973, at Candlestick, although I did see him pitch one last time at the Stick in 1975 (Sadecki, however, lost the game for us in extra innings).

Dugan
Single A Minor League Player

Post by Dugan »

After reading these posts I can't tell if I'm staying within the rules, but my Dad and I remember the Joaquin Andujar grand slam because we were listening to TBS when he hit it.

Skip Carey or the "other guy" mentioned that the crowd was in an "mild frenzy" in this situation....and the other responded that the crowd would reach an "agitated state" if Joaquin actually hit one as hard as he swings....and seconds later.

"Now THAT is an agitated state", Skip said as Joaquin rounded the bases. My dad still uses that phrase with me and we laugh.

Funny....as I typed this...I thought...well...better see if my memory is any good and can't find any reference to Andujars grand slam...except that he DID hit one and never allowed one. Hmmm...

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Dugan wrote:Funny....as I typed this...I thought...well...better see if my memory is any good and can't find any reference to Andujars grand slam...except that he DID hit one and never allowed one. Hmmm...
Here you go: May 15, 1984 Atlanta at St. Louis

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

I saw Keith McDonald's second homerun, becoming only the second play evar to hit a home run in his first two major league at bats.

BTW he is the only player in MLB history to have more than 1 home run in his major league career with no other hits. He is 3-7 with 3 home runs in his lifetime. That's kinda cool.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Secret Weapon wrote:I saw Keith McDonald's second homerun, becoming only the second play evar to hit a home run in his first two major league at bats.

BTW he is the only player in MLB history to have more than 1 home run in his major league career with no other hits. He is 3-7 with 3 home runs in his lifetime. That's kinda cool.

You would think he would've gotten more chances than that if all 3 of his hits out of 7 AB's were HR's