JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Re: why do i feel this will end badly..

Post by JL21 »

skmsw wrote:
Richie Allen wrote:
BW23 wrote:
omaha_red wrote:
dangerous wrote:I think the Yankees will use Tony to lure Pujols when his contract is up.
this made my stomach hurt
Even if TLR went to NY, which I don't think will happen, he wouldn't last long enough to be there once Pujols' contract is up.

edit: missed Fan_in_NY's response. Agree completely...obviously.
Based on his age? Torre just spent the last twelve years there. Not quite the revolving door it used to be in NY.
I don't think the issue is the NY Revolving Door; I think the issue is TLR's willingness to handle the many and varied distractions, annoyances, intrusions, and second-guessing that are part and parcel of that job.
That's what I was thinking too. I wouldn't be surprised to see him elsewhere next year. But I would be shocked to see him in New York for all the reasons you state.

skmsw
Perennial All-Star

Post by skmsw »

And if he does take it, the likelihood of going four years without quitting, getting fired, or both seems low -- not because Steinie is unstable, but because it might turn out to not be the fit he is expecting (but he'll HAVE the fit WE'RE expecting).

omaha_red
Hall Of Famer

Post by omaha_red »

skmsw wrote:And if he does take it, the likelihood of going four years without quitting, getting fired, or both seems low -- not because Steinie is unstable, but because it might turn out to not be the fit he is expecting (but he'll HAVE the fit WE'RE expecting).
unless he wins championships and fast.. i agree.. the only reason torre lasted so
long was cause he won a bunch of championships early in his career with the yanks

skmsw
Perennial All-Star

Post by skmsw »

omaha_red wrote:
skmsw wrote:And if he does take it, the likelihood of going four years without quitting, getting fired, or both seems low -- not because Steinie is unstable, but because it might turn out to not be the fit he is expecting (but he'll HAVE the fit WE'RE expecting).
unless he wins championships and fast.. i agree.. the only reason torre lasted so
long was cause he won a bunch of championships early in his career with the yanks
I see where you're going with that and I do not disagree -- BUT -- winning championships quickly will only make him more impatient with the subsequent second-guessing. He'd still become unbearable and walk, or get himself fired.

Manager of the Yankees is not like manager of other teams. It is a different job. It's more like being Ambassador of the Yankees, Yankees Diplomatic Consulate to the Empire of New York.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

skmsw wrote:
omaha_red wrote:
I see where you're going with that and I do not disagree -- BUT -- winning championships quickly will only make him more impatient with the subsequent second-guessing. He'd still become unbearable and walk, or get himself fired.

Manager of the Yankees is not like manager of other teams. It is a different job. It's more like being Ambassador of the Yankees, Yankees Diplomatic Consulate to the Empire of New York.
Why don't they just promote Captain Intangibles to Player/Manager Intangibles?

EDIT: Or more in-line with current baseball names, Executive VP and Director of Management and Deployment of Intangibles.

--P--

skmsw
Perennial All-Star

Post by skmsw »

Popeye_Card wrote:
skmsw wrote:
omaha_red wrote:

Why don't they just promote Captain Intangibles to Player/Manager Intangibles?

EDIT: Or more in-line with current baseball names, Executive VP and Director of Management and Deployment of Intangibles.

--P--
That's a damn fine idea you got y'self there Popeye. We all know he already wins every game single-handedly, and we already know that he is the driving force in the clubhouse, and we already know that he is the leader, spirit, motivator, and essence of the team (as well as of all that is Yankee) -- why not just make it official???

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Richie Allen wrote:
Jocephus wrote:it will end up with someone being tarred and feathered and forced to cluck around ballpark village like...a chiken.

at least, i hope.
thats what i was thinkin' when i wrote that...heh

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

I'm not saying he'd be there for more than four years. In fact, I don't foresee him managing anywhere by 2012. I was just curious why you guys thought he'd not be able to handle NY.

I think if he went in there and that team responded well, he'd be on top of the world. He's won (to some extent) in Chicago (big city), he's won in Oakland (west coast) and he's won in St. Louis (midwest and proud franchise)...where else would he be motivated to finish his career? NY seems the logical choice to me.

But I agree that he'd probably only be there 2 to 3 years before he called it quits for good. But I think he'd be able to handle himself in that situation. Especially knowing it's going to be he last years as a manager.