Lofton safe or out?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Lofton safe or out?

Post by jim »

Anyone have a link to the play of Lofton going for 2nd? In realtime it looked out, the tag got down a hair before he reached the base. The first time I saw the replay he looked safe, the sweep tag hit the base before the runner. The second time I saw the replay he looked out, because although the initial tag was late the force of impact with the base caused Lofton to go airborne for a split second. If the glove was still on him he was out.

Just curious.

TabascoElvis
Perennial All-Star

Re: Lofton safe or out?

Post by TabascoElvis »

jim wrote:Anyone have a link to the play of Lofton going for 2nd? In realtime it looked out, the tag got down a hair before he reached the base. The first time I saw the replay he looked safe, the sweep tag hit the base before the runner. The second time I saw the replay he looked out, because although the initial tag was late the force of impact with the base caused Lofton to go airborne for a split second. If the glove was still on him he was out.

Just curious.
I don't know if the call was made that way, but to me it looked like he came off the bag and was out per that result. Not that he was out prior to reaching the bag.

Faceman
Perennial All-Star

Post by Faceman »

He was safe.

But still - he got thrown out by Manny.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The real tragedy in all this is that now we won't see Lofton getting in a fight in the World Series. . .

I do feel bad for the classy Indians though. Like Victor Martinez, Grady Sizemore.

jim

Post by jim »

TabascoElvis wrote:
jim wrote:Anyone have a link to the play of Lofton going for 2nd? In realtime it looked out, the tag got down a hair before he reached the base. The first time I saw the replay he looked safe, the sweep tag hit the base before the runner. The second time I saw the replay he looked out, because although the initial tag was late the force of impact with the base caused Lofton to go airborne for a split second. If the glove was still on him he was out.

Just curious.
I don't know if the call was made that way, but to me it looked like he came off the bag and was out per that result. Not that he was out prior to reaching the bag.
That's exactly how I saw it.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

In another Lofton incident...not going home on the double down the line.

I guess it could have gone both ways. The bounce that it took made it fairly likely that Manny could throw him out at home. If he had made it, the Indians tie and likely have the momentum. If he doesn't, the Indians just have a man on first, 2 outs, and aren't likely to score in the inning--giving the momentum back to the Red Sox.

As it turned out, the Red Sox turned a huge double play, and took the momentum anyway, and went on to blow them out.

--P--

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I thought Lofton was safe, and the umpire called him out because the throw beat him to the base (unfortunately, this seems to be how most umpires call that play these days).

fulldeck
Perennial All-Star

Post by fulldeck »

I think he was safe at 2B and I cannot believe he wasn't sent home later in the game.

Jose would have sent everyone home in that situation, even Yadi!

jim

Post by jim »

So the people that said "Safe", did you see him come off the bag immediately after he touched the bag?

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

fulldeck wrote:I think he was safe at 2B and I cannot believe he wasn't sent home later in the game.

Jose would have sent everyone home in that situation, even Yadi!
And I'm guessing most would have been out.

It would have been a close play, even with Lofton's speed. He was sending Lofton until it bounced off the hard sign, and went right to Manny.

And I mis-spoke--it was a single down the line. Would have been a double in almost any other stadium.

--P--

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

I was out with a good friend last night that I haven't seen much of in the last year or two. I kept trying to steal glances at the TV in the corner of the bar without tipping her off that I wasn't paying attention to the conversation. Anyway, I missed the initial play and couldn't tell whether he had been called safe or out. I just saw a replay over and over again, couldn't tell what was happening, and I guess I totally blew my cover with this obvious angry scowl.

I'm still not sure what happened with the play Popeye is referring to either.