Free Agent Filers

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
PujolJunkie
Hall Of Famer

Re: Free Agent Filers

Post by PujolJunkie »

haltz wrote:
Schilling listed St. Louis as a possible destination on his blog today.
Ehh.. he also listed 11 other teams. Which gives us a possible 1 in 11 chance. I guess that's better than not being in the listing at all. Although, at 40, he pitched 151 innings this year. Looper had more innings than Schilling. I just think that we're gonna need some innings from another source besides Wainwright. And a 40 year old pitcher with an injury track record isn't going to give us all of that.

GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer

Post by GatewaySnayke »

Schilling > Looper

PujolJunkie
Hall Of Famer

Post by PujolJunkie »

Touche.

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

gosh, how many people here would flip out if Schilling is signed. He doesn't seem to be too liked around these parts.

I think he'd be nice for one year as we get healthy again. I don't care if he has a loud mouth.

maddash
is eerily well-versed on Project Runway and irony

Post by maddash »

There's really no excuse for the Cardinals not to sign a good free agent pitcher to a 1 or 2 year deal. There are a lot of them out there: Schilling, Glavine, Pettitte (possibly), Byrd, Lieber... Plenty of guys in the twilight of their career that would be good fillers for '08.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

haltz wrote:Schilling listed St. Louis as a possible destination on his blog today.
This makes me cautiously happy.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I'm not that excited about the possibility of 1-2 years at $10+ million per season for a 41 year old Curt Schilling. He doesn't really help what I think the focus of the team should be. i.e. building for '09 and beyond. For '08, he'd be a cherry tomato on a sh*t salad.

--P--

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Popeye_Card wrote:I'm not that excited about the possibility of 1-2 years at $10+ million per season for a 41 year old Curt Schilling. He doesn't really help what I think the focus of the team should be. i.e. building for '09 and beyond. For '08, he'd be a cherry tomato on a sh*t salad.
I don't see what the difference is. The team isn't completely doomed for 2008. I think he's a perfect stopgap, if he would play for St. Louis (which I doubt).

He's only looking for one year anyway. (That's actually him.)

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

This post from your SoSH link sort of says how I'd feel about signing Schilling:
The downside to bring Schilling back is that you feel there is a great risk of him completely breaking down and being seven figure waste of space.
Given that they've already got a few seven-figure wastes of space (Carp and Mulder, Rolen and Edmonds to lesser degrees), it'd be hard to take on that gamble.

But on the other side of the coin, he doesn't require a commitment beyond '08 and he's still pitching well.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

haltz wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:I'm not that excited about the possibility of 1-2 years at $10+ million per season for a 41 year old Curt Schilling. He doesn't really help what I think the focus of the team should be. i.e. building for '09 and beyond. For '08, he'd be a cherry tomato on a sh*t salad.
I don't see what the difference is. The team isn't completely doomed for 2008. I think he's a perfect stopgap, if he would play for St. Louis (which I doubt).

He's only looking for one year anyway. (That's actually him.)
I know that they're not completely doomed, but I don't think they're going to be serious World Series contenders either.

As I've stated many times, I want to build for '09 and beyond. Schilling doesn't help that. I'd rather just hold onto that $10+ million he's going to cost for one year. I think it would basically be flushing money down the drain. He's not going to help the Cards draw any more fans. He would only marginally help their chances of contending for ONE season. I want a #2 starter, but I want one that's going to be here for more than one season. Because the '09 rotation--if you can find a good #2--will be pretty darn good. The '08 rotation--even if you add Schilling--still looks like crap. An awful lot hinges on Chris Carpenter being added for "free" in '09. Even if he returns in '08, I don't think you can count on him to immediately return as a dominant #1 starter come playoff time. There's going to be some rust, and Carpenter strikes me as a guy who might take a little bit of time to shake off that rust.

--P--