VEB on Mozeliak, w more Antonetti quotes

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

VEB on Mozeliak, w more Antonetti quotes

Post by ghostrunner »

Assuming Antonetti is spekaing the truth, and I don't see a reason for him to expound needlessly at this point, I feel pretty good about where the team is headed. And I think Larry gets at the heart of things pretty well. My guess is that Anotnetti was certainly first choice, we got outbid, and then Mozeliak was second.

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/story/2007/11/1/91133/6111

Read the whole thing, but here's the Antonetti stuff:
Antonetti said he was "very fortunate to have a choice of two of the best jobs there are with two of the best owners to work with," Antonetti said. "The Cardinals may be one of the top five GM jobs in the business, but we are very happy where we are and Paul Dolan made it impossible to leave.
likewise, the argument that antonetti feared a power struggle with luhnow is largely spin generated by the walt-was-mistreated wing of the media. two years ago, when antonetti perceived a fractured power structure in boston (after theo epstein's temporary ouster), he simply refused to interview the job; had he perceived the same problem here, he wouldn't have come so close to accepting the post. "I was given a strong indication the next general manager would have autonomy over all baseball matters," he says in this morning's p-d. also: "There has seemingly been an undercurrent about reservations I had or someone had. I had no reservations about St. Louis."
from this morning's cleveland plain-dealer:
Antonetti, who just finished his sixth season as Indians assistant general manager, had his contract restructured by President Paul Dolan. He'd signed a four-year extension on May 15, but it's believed Antonetti's deal was sweetened with a raise and more years.

"We're ecstatic to keep Chris here," Indians GM Mark Shapiro said. "He's an impact member of the front office."

There was speculation Antonetti withdrew from the Cardinals job because the general manager's authority might be restricted. Manager Tony La Russa and his coaching staff were rehired before a general manager was hired. Walt Jocketty, who resigned at the end of the season after 13 years in St. Louis, reportedly struggled for power with Jeff Luhnow, vice president of amateur scouting and player development.

Antonetti denied that.

"It's a fantastic opportunity and John will do a great job," Antonetti, 33, said. "It's one of the best general manager's jobs in baseball. Bill DeWitt [chairman of the board] is prepared to give the general manager all the autonomy he needs."

Antonetti, however, did not want to leave the Indians.

"I have an opportunity to work with a great group of people in a phenomenal work environment," he said. "I'm appreciative and fulfilled by the responsibilities I have in my current position."

StatmanCrothers
Perennial All-Star

Re: VEB on Mozeliak, w more Antonetti quotes

Post by StatmanCrothers »

Very interesting.

Our interest basically helped him cement his future with his current employer.

Not that rare for good employees to be in that situation.

I think the Cards are heading in the right direction.