The Cubs offer you a job. Do you take it?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
UK
Perennial All-Star

Re: The Cubs offer you a job. Do you take it?

Post by UK »

I'd have no problem working for the Cards. I think I can make an assumption for most of you that your fan affiliation would not factor into the decision.

Of course, it depends on what you ideal role would be. If it was in finance, factors like salary, benefits, travel, etc. would factor more into the equation than working for a MLB team.

If it was a specific role geared towards sports (announcer, scout, front office), given how few the opportunites are, and this is what you want in life, you'd be a moron to wait for another entry level position simply b/c you still want to be a fan first.

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

Cronos69 wrote:I'd take the job. It's the Cubs; it has to be a pretty cushy gig, really.

If it were for something like the Devil Rays or the Marlins, I probably wouldn't. But working with the Cubs(like working with the Yankees, Red Sox, etc) in the offices would be a great thing for one's career(and salary). Even if I had to pretend to like them and support them, yes I'd take the job.
It doesn't work like that though, front offices guys are paid more by experience rather than team payroll/revenue.

After the Red Sox won the WS, they had their player development/scouts out in Boston for the celebration for 3 days. While they put them up in hotels, they were at one hotel for 2 days and another hotel for the 1st day b/c of cheaper rates.

paskal
Veteran Player

Post by paskal »

Doing what I do (software engineering), I think I could easily decline - though if at the time I wanted to leave LA, I'd consider it.

Doing what my brother does (radio news/sports/play-by-play), I feel that he'd take it easily.

ndistops
All-Star

Post by ndistops »

I would take a job with STL in a half-second, to put it in a converse way. I could even pretend to like them enough to want them to win games they didn't play against (or directly hurt in a pennant race) the Cubs.

But I too want to be in the sports media, and it's a little easier to say that in our line of work.

Centreville
Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows

Post by Centreville »

Yes, for 2 years, and then look for another franchise to work for.

Asmodai
Veteran Player

Post by Asmodai »

jim wrote:
Asmodai wrote:I'd shoot myself before working for the Cardinals.
GRB is loosely affiliated with the Cardinals. We are preparing you a job offer as we speak.

:wink:
I didnt say I wouldn't work with someone affiliated with the Cardinals. The Cubs, for instance, are more "affiliated" with the Cardinals than GRB. So what's the offer? Trash cleanup?

:D

StatmanCrothers
Perennial All-Star

Post by StatmanCrothers »

living in the chi-burbs -- pardon me (covering mouth) -- i've thought about applying for the stats stringer job at either White Sox or Cubbies. White Sox might be slightly closer to commute but Wrigleyville has so much more in the surrounding area.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Asmodai wrote:
jim wrote:
Asmodai wrote:I'd shoot myself before working for the Cardinals.
GRB is loosely affiliated with the Cardinals. We are preparing you a job offer as we speak.

:wink:
I didnt say I wouldn't work with someone affiliated with the Cardinals. The Cubs, for instance, are more "affiliated" with the Cardinals than GRB. So what's the offer? Trash cleanup?

:D
We'll think of something. Good pay, good hours, and the signing bonus is a beautiful .38 caliber Smith & Wesson.

Radio_Bugtussle
Perennial All-Star

Post by Radio_Bugtussle »

Money talks.

fulldeck
Perennial All-Star

Post by fulldeck »

If I was offered a photographers job with the Cubs I would take it in a second. I don't think even think I would have to deny being a Cards fan. I would just have to be respectful of the team and do my job well.