The Annual Trade for Rocco Thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Re: The Annual Trade for Rocco Thread

Post by JL21 »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I really don't like Khalil Greene as a hitter
Mind if I ask why?

I'd assume the "context of the Cubs" thing is because of his low BB rate.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

RC21 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I really don't like Khalil Greene as a hitter
Mind if I ask why?

I'd assume the "context of the Cubs" thing is because of his low BB rate.
You're right, and that's also why I don't like him as a hitter. In a vacuum his production might be up to a certain level, but I think at a certain point you make so many outs that it hurts the offense beyond just the number in OBP, but in terms of offensive consistency. It'd be even more of a concern if Greene were supposed to be a cornerstone of the offense(which is a bit of a misnomer since no one would do that, but it illustrates the point), but I think it's a factor nonetheless. I just can't be an advocate of trying to deal for a guy who can't OBP .300 with any consistency, nevermind using the best prospect in the organization to get him. Tangentially, I really wish the Cubs would just stick Pie in CF and leave him there for about 1000 PA's.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Points taken. That said, his power compensates for some of that lost productivity, no?

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

RC21 wrote:Points taken. That said, his power compensates for some of that lost productivity, no?
TT is saying that in a vacuum, yes, but the Cubs have so many of those high power, low obp guys that the offense would be really inconsistent.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

RC21 wrote:Points taken. That said, his power compensates for some of that lost productivity, no?
What I'm saying is that 1+1 doesn't always equal 2. Part of this could be explained in how OBP is valued a little higher than SLG, but I'm saying that a .290/.450 hitter can be less valuable than a .330/.410 hitter. Maybe Replacement level or +/- is a better way of illustrating. If Greene's -1 OBP and +2 power, it's not as good as someone who's +1 OBP and +1 power.

And to tag on to what Thrill said, those things become even more obvious when you already have Alfonso Soriano, Jacque Jones, and to a lesser extent Aramis Ramirez in the lineup already.

AlwaysBeClosing
Everyday Player

Post by AlwaysBeClosing »

What are Pie's MiLB numbers in regards to walk rate and OBP?

He sure didn't seem to have a ton of patience the few times I saw him with the Cubs..

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

JGant82 wrote:What are Pie's MiLB numbers in regards to walk rate and OBP?

He sure didn't seem to have a ton of patience the few times I saw him with the Cubs..
http://firstinning.com/players/Felix-Pie-a

He's had small increases in BB% each of the last 3 years, although he's not going to be Adam Dunn anytime soon. He's still only 23 this year.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
What I'm saying is that 1+1 doesn't always equal 2. Part of this could be explained in how OBP is valued a little higher than SLG, but I'm saying that a .290/.450 hitter can be less valuable than a .330/.410 hitter. Maybe Replacement level or +/- is a better way of illustrating. If Greene's -1 OBP and +2 power, it's not as good as someone who's +1 OBP and +1 power.

And to tag on to what Thrill said, those things become even more obvious when you already have Alfonso Soriano, Jacque Jones, and to a lesser extent Aramis Ramirez in the lineup already.
Oh, I understand all that (re: OBP being more valuable than SLG), and I certainly don't deny that a skill set like that wouldn't fit well with the Cubs. I was just sort of pointing out that at least he does have some pop to negate some of the void in OBP.

AlwaysBeClosing
Everyday Player

Post by AlwaysBeClosing »

He's had small increases in BB% each of the last 3 years, although he's not going to be Adam Dunn anytime soon. He's still only 23 this year.
He's Juan Pierre with a little more pop..

And THIS is the guy Cubs fans are coveting?

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

JGant82 wrote:

He's Juan Pierre with a little more pop..

And THIS is the guy Cubs fans are coveting?
I'm guessing Juan never 984 ops'd in AAA.