MLB GM's recommend instant replay......

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Socnorb11
The Last Word

MLB GM's recommend instant replay......

Post by Socnorb11 »

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- For the first time Tuesday, baseball general managers recommended instant replay be used to help umpires make difficult decisions.

The recommendation, by a 25-5 vote, was limited to boundary calls -- whether potential home runs are fair or foul, whether balls go over fences or hit the top and bounce back, and whether fans interfere with possible homers.

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig opposes the use of replays but said last month he was willing to let GMs examine the issue.

"I don't like instant replay because I don't like all the delays. I think it sometimes creates as many problems or more than it solves," Selig said then.

But Jimmie Lee Solomon, an executive vice president in the commissioner's office, thinks Selig's stance has changed a bit recently.

"He seemed to be softer, at least on the consideration of the subject," Solomon said Tuesday.

He added it was unclear how the proposal will proceed and acknowledged there is "glacier-like movement in baseball" when it comes to innovation. Solomon said if Selig is willing, the commissioner probably would run the idea by owners. The plan needs approval from the players' association and umpires.

Solomon said GMs favored having a Major League Baseball official in a central place with access to all camera angles. If there is a disputed call, that official would be contacted and would view the television replay to make a decision.

"We have a very technologically savvy group of GMs," Solomon said. "I was surprised that we had five teams that said no."

Solomon also said that to speed up games, baseball was considering limiting the number of times a hitter could step out of the batter's box during an at-bat and the number of times any player could visit the mound.

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Re: MLB GM's recommend instant replay......

Post by clevername »

I didn't expect the vote to be that lopsided.

AlwaysBeClosing
Everyday Player

Post by AlwaysBeClosing »

I tend to agree with Buddy boy on this one....

I love the fact that baseball isn't as fast paced as what football or basketball is, but adding delays for replay in there would further most people's perceptions that it moves TOO slowly...

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

JGant82 wrote:I tend to agree with Buddy boy on this one....

I love the fact that baseball isn't as fast paced as what football or basketball is, but adding delays for replay in there would further most people's perceptions that it moves TOO slowly...

How often is there a call that's questionable, though? In this case, the only plays that would be reviewed would be fair/foul calls, balls that bounce off the top of walls, and fan interference calls. It's almost irrelevant......

AlwaysBeClosing
Everyday Player

Post by AlwaysBeClosing »

Socnorb11 wrote:
JGant82 wrote:I tend to agree with Buddy boy on this one....

How often is there a call that's questionable, though? In this case, the only plays that would be reviewed would be fair/foul calls, balls that bounce off the top of walls, and fan interference calls. It's almost irrelevant......
In the case of fair/foul balls, they'd probably have one a game...fan interference and balls that bounce off the top of the walls would be much less frequent...

EDIT: It's just HR's that are fair or foul after I re-read it...so yea....they'd prolly have one review a week or so....no biggie

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

If they're going to do it, I at least like the idea of there being an umpire in the booth somewhere reviewing the clips, and not the home plate ump putting his head under a curtain on the sidelines.

Really, the NFL should be like this too.

--P--

Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Post by Fan_In_NY »

This is the only items I have ever wanted reviewed so I am in favor of this. It doesnt slow down the play. It will occur after the play is over. The only thing they need to figure out is if a ball was ruled a HR, when in fact it didnt go over the wall, what are they going to do? Give the batter an automatic double? The player would not have been running so its not like they will give him the last base he reached.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Fan_In_NY wrote:This is the only items I have ever wanted reviewed so I am in favor of this. It doesnt slow down the play. It will occur after the play is over. The only thing they need to figure out is if a ball was ruled a HR, when in fact it didnt go over the wall, what are they going to do? Give the batter an automatic double? The player would not have been running so its not like they will give him the last base he reached.
If the ball is touched by a fan, then it's already an automatic double.

If the ball comes back on the field of play, the teams should be told to treat it as a live ball, until replay proves otherwise.

I think on the fair/foul issue, it's just for HR's, so that really cuts down on confusion there. If it was for any ball down the line, you could have a lot of issues.

--P--

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Baseball is far too important to rely on a skilled human eye to make a determination of right or wrong. I wouldn't let my kid get on a schoolbus with a drunk driver, and I sure as heck wouldn't want my team out there playing with mere mortals deciding what is right and wrong.

If we can't get God almighty himself to come down and umpire the game, then we should spare no amount of money and time to put in the technology to make sure that we get each and every call 100% correct. It's simply too important to do anything else.

I expect no less than 64 cameras strategically places in the park, we should even be able to put some in the bases and homeplates themselves. We should also install microphones to capture sound, it may come in handy on some play. Each pitch and every play should be called on the field by a skilled umpire, reviewed by a secondary set of umpires, and then reviewed by an impartial jury of 12 in the press box. Just to make sure we have everything covered, the guy in the blimp flying overhead as the last and final call.

If you are an American and value what is truly important in your life, like your kids getting to school safely and the knee high strike being called properly, you will endorse this post.

Thank you for your time.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

How about we have it, and allow one per team per game? If results are inconclusive on the review, they're inconclusive and the call stands.

Meanstwhile, make the umps start pulling in the reins on stepping out of the batter's box and off the mound. Ditto for conferences on the mound.