ESPN reporting 11 free agents to be named

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
PujolJunkie
Hall Of Famer

Re: ESPN reporting 11 free agents to be named

Post by PujolJunkie »

This is just the list of free agents. Eleven players. What's the NON free agent list look like?

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

It was found out, that this is wrong. It's no more then 11 free agents were asked to be questioned. That doesn't mean they are on the list.

clake
All-Star

Post by clake »

LOL...

Bernie'd by ESPN!

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

Any bets that none of these players sign with the Red Sox?

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

merlin
AAA Minor League Player

Post by merlin »

... no 'big names' but then mentions Roger Clemens being on the list, who is right now considered to be one of the greatest pitchers of all-time? I know there's been speculation about Clemens in the past, but if his name comes out in this, there's not a bigger name to be had.

Just of curiousity, if Clemens is outed in this Mitchell report, what do you think the fan reaction will be? Does he become the Barry Bonds of pitchers, once considered one of the all-time greats but now nothing more than a cheat? Will the writers outcast him as they did McGwire?

Bo Hart
Perennial All-Star

Post by Bo Hart »

If the Clemens thing pans out, I think it really only diminishes his recent accomplishments; by that, I'm talking about his post-40 success/revival. Something like that is really tainted by something like steroids, I think, because it was almost as if he was defying age...

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

merlin wrote:Just of curiousity, if Clemens is outed in this Mitchell report, what do you think the fan reaction will be?
A yawn. Does anyone out there think Clemens HASN'T used steroids?

merlin
AAA Minor League Player

Post by merlin »

How old was he though when he left the Red Sox? Wasn't that why they let him go because they (or Duquette) thought he was done? He left the Red Sox topping out at 92 and reappears with the Blue Jays pumping 98 again. That's when the suspicion would start for me.

If this report names names, I think its going to leave a lot of gray area (not that we're not already in a bunch of gray already). What I mean by that is, if it implicates Clemens or anyone else, does it specific details of their use, when, where, what, and how? If it doesn't, there's going to be a lot of interpretation between people going on, just like the assumptions Kyle and I just made.

merlin
AAA Minor League Player

Post by merlin »

I think a lot of people don't suspect Clemens yet. If they did, shouldn't there be the moral outrage for him the same as Barry Bonds? You still hear a lot of people calling him the greatest right-hander of all-time.