Andruw Jones

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
BW23
Hall Of Famer

Re: Andruw Jones

Post by BW23 »

Popeye_Card wrote:
clevername wrote:We would have no problem moving Jim to left.

Jim, on the other hand, may. Though his ego seems to have held up pretty well with the frequent benchings he has received.
I realize that of course, but I think I would sit Jim down and say, "Look, we're bringing in Andruw Jones here. This is probably the last year of your career, and bringing him in gives us a much better chance of winning you another ring before you hang it up." Either he understands that, or he doesn't.

--P--
I don't think I'd do that to Edmonds, though. First of all, if he's actually healthy, it may not be the last year of his career. If he can improve over last year simply because of health, I wouldn't mind bringing him back for a couple of seasons with the young OFs they'll likely have....especially Rasmus. But I also don't think you do that to a guy that is so much about being a Cardinal for a guy just looking to boost his stock and get a big payday.

I also don't think that's a given that he'll do incredibly well just because he's trying to boost his stock. Look how well that worked out for him last year.

Lastly, if Edmonds is healthy, is there really a guarantee that Jones is the best fit in CF over Edmonds? Jones has continued to slip as well. Some of that is because of the weight he's gaining. Some is that he appears lazy at times.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

cardinalkarp wrote:On a 1 yr contract w/ someone I bet he's able to pull in at least 16 million.
I don't know. He sucked pretty bad last year. I would guess $12-$14 million.]

Personally, I would take a shot at him. He's one of the few guys who could actually help this club. You could replace Duncan's production with Jones, and trade Duncan + for a pitcher.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

8 years, 19.5 per.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Fat Strat wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:On a 1 yr contract w/ someone I bet he's able to pull in at least 16 million.
I don't know. He sucked pretty bad last year. I would guess $12-$14 million.]

Personally, I would take a shot at him. He's one of the few guys who could actually help this club. You could replace Duncan's production with Jones, and trade Duncan + for a pitcher.
If he's in that $12 million range then he's worth a shot but some team will buck up for him (especially just for a year) just because of his past.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Is there a parallel with what Nomar did after 2004? He was a free agent about to turn 31, and took a one-year "make good" deal for 2005. His two previous years' salaries were $11M (and $11.5M). His one-year salary for '05 was $8.25M.

Where would that put Jones? His last two years' salaries have been $13.5M and $14M. IF there's a parallel (and I'm not sure there is), it would seemingly put him in the $10-12M range.

The difference, of course, is that Jones is healthy. Nomar was pretty injury-plagued for 2 of the 4 years prior to that one-year deal.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

The difference, of course, is that Jones is healthy. Nomar was pretty injury-plagued for 2 of the 4 years prior to that one-year deal.
That's a pretty big factor. Everyone thought Normar was just an injury waiting to happen. Jones really isn't in that boat at all. He just had a terrible year.

picasso
All-Star

Post by picasso »

Leroy wrote:8 years, 19.5 per.
It made me laugh.

AJ

Post by AJ »

I think moving to LF/RF after playing CF your entire career is a tougher switch than people realize.

The CF of a baseball team, is really the defensive general, they can overide anyone on the field. It would speak volumes to Jimmy's versatility if he was able to make the switch and have someone else calling him off for a change.

I don't believe there is an outfielder today that can be a game changer like Jimmy E with the glove. If he doesn't make that catch in the NLCS in 2004, the Cards don't win that game. I don't know how many times he has done it to Cincy over the years. While Jones may have more range today, I still don't think he can change a game like Edmonds is capable of.

I'd love to have Jones on the team, but I think he should be the one moving to the corner.

Simbagal23
All-Star

Post by Simbagal23 »

Just so everybody is aware, it was on the local ATL news this morning that the Braves are hoping to get a "hometown discount" with Glavine. (So the Cards aren't the only team that does this.) Apparently, should the Braves get Glavine at a discount, it may leave more $$$ in the pot to keep Andruw.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Simbagal23 wrote:Just so everybody is aware, it was on the local ATL news this morning that the Braves are hoping to get a "hometown discount" with Glavine. (So the Cards aren't the only team that does this.) Apparently, should the Braves get Glavine at a discount, it may leave more $$$ in the pot to keep Andruw.
They should stay away from both those guys.