Stark: Rolen Rumblings

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Michael
GRB Founder

Stark: Rolen Rumblings

Post by Michael »

"They're not picking up one penny of the [$36 million left on the] contract," says one executive who spoke with them. "And let's just say they're not giving him away."

Rolen probably would have wound up with the Yankees if A-Rod hadn't had Warren Buffett's cell number. But the Cardinals apparently were insisting on Those Young Guys the Yankees Won't Trade (Chamberlain, Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy). So that conversation never made it past the back burner.
Now it looks as if the Cardinals are going to bide their time until Cabrera gets traded, then reposition Rolen as the best third-base option out there. And there are all kinds of possibilities, depending on the Cardinals' willingness to digest some of the dollars. The Dodgers, Brewers, Reds and Indians, for instance, all make sense on varying levels.

So we'd bet that one of these days, Rolen will become the first seven-time Gold Glove-winning third baseman in history to get traded. It just won't happen in the next 15 minutes.

Link

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Re: Stark: Rolen Gumblings

Post by Hungary Jack »

I'd really like for Rolen not to be traded to a division rival, unless of course, the Brewers will give us Gallardo, Hardy and Braun for him, plus cash.

mcgee51taguchi99
Perennial All-Star
Location: Crying/injoyin watching tha Crew in tha Playoffs!!!

Post by mcgee51taguchi99 »

When two of the four "options" involve teams in your division . . . ugh.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

In this market, the Cardinals shouldn't pick up a penny of that contract. Rolen can rebound to moderately below 2006 form and still be worth it. In fact, there's a reasonable chance he'll be better than Lowell the next three years.

Cole Burns
Perennial All-Star

Post by Cole Burns »

I think Mo's been really smart about this. When news of Rolen's discontent leaked his stock plummeted. He's kept the price high until the market rebounds and he'll be in good position. And, if he can't get what he wants, we're stuck with a gold glove at third.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Re: Stark: Rolen Rumblings

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Mo's doing the right thing. I agree.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

Magneto2.0 wrote:Mo's doing the right thing. I agree.
It would be tough as a new GM. You're trying to build trust and establish positive relations with other GMs while at the same time holding a hard line in the best interest of the team. From the anonymous GM quotes, it appears they're thinking Mo's being unreasonable.

stldogget05
Veteran Player

Post by stldogget05 »

planet pujolsian wrote:
Magneto2.0 wrote:Mo's doing the right thing. I agree.
It would be tough as a new GM. You're trying to build trust and establish positive relations with other GMs while at the same time holding a hard line in the best interest of the team. From the anonymous GM quotes, it appears they're thinking Mo's being unreasonable.
Or maybe they're trying to get the best of the newbie GM.