Musing on a Cub-Card trade.

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
picasso
All-Star

Musing on a Cub-Card trade.

Post by picasso »

Reading NSBB, the Cub's greatest need is a LH power bat.

Just as a curiosity would you trade Duncan and Reyes for Marshall and Murton? Seems to me like a trade that would benefit both teams. Marshall probably projects as a better ML SP at this point than Reyes, Murton is a RH OF who plays defense a bit better than Duncan.

Bo Hart
Perennial All-Star

Re: Musing on a Cub-Card trade.

Post by Bo Hart »

Uh, hell no.

Duncan > Murton.

Marshall is better than Reyes, but he is not that good and is a back-of-the-rotation starter.

It's not so much that I think highly of Duncan so much as it is that I think Marshall is a guy with little upside.

picasso
All-Star

Post by picasso »

Kyle wrote:Uh, hell no.

Duncan > Murton.

Marshall is better than Reyes, but he is not that good and is a back-of-the-rotation starter.

It's not so much that I think highly of Duncan so much as it is that I think Marshall is a guy with little upside.
I don't know, if Marshall is a reliable #4 and Reyes is really a 4A we come out ahead.

Murton 2007- 235 AB .281 .352 .438 .791
Duncan 2007- 375 AB .259 .354 .480 .834

#4 SP carry a hefty price tag. I guess it depends on your opinion of Reyes (or the perceived opinion of other teams GM's)

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

That's not a bad trade, IMO. I might overvalue Murton, but he's better defensively than Dunc and I think would be pretty good in the #2 slot (we still need someone to hit leadoff). I also think that Marshall could be a #3 starter on a decent team.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Duncan's bad defensively, but Murton's probably not a whole lot better. Not to pick on you HJ, and I've said it before, but I also don't think we need to target anyone because of where they hit in the lineup. I've been hearing that a lot lately with Eckstein leaving.

I wouldn't make this trade, and the Cubs need Marshall, Murton, Pie, Patterson, Hill, Marmol, Quade and Dempster to package for some Hall of Famer coming from a team with 19 open roster spots.
Last edited by haltz on November 29 07, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace
Perennial All-Star

Post by Ace »

What is it exactly that makes Anthony Reyes (1.35 career WHIP) a AAAA starter and Sean Marshall (1.45 career WHIP) a #3-4 starter?

Bo Hart
Perennial All-Star

Post by Bo Hart »

picasso wrote:
Kyle wrote:Uh, hell no.

Duncan > Murton.

I don't know, if Marshall is a reliable #4 and Reyes is really a 4A we come out ahead.

Murton 2007- 235 AB .281 .352 .438 .791
Duncan 2007- 375 AB .259 .354 .480 .834

#4 SP carry a hefty price tag. I guess it depends on your opinion of Reyes (or the perceived opinion of other teams GM's)
Duncan's stats are adversely skewed by his hernia. He claims that it had been affecting him for around two months (not including mid-late September). This is consistent with his first / second half splits:

.288 / .380 / .547 / .927
.209 / .311 / .367 / .677

Take a look at his game log from about late July on (here). He turned into nothing short of a black hole offensively (absolutely zero power). While this could be a slump or the league catching up with him or whatever you want to believe, you have to figure that, to some extent, the injury was taking its toll.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

Kyle wrote:Duncan's stats are adversely skewed by his hernia. He claims that it had been affecting him for around two months (not including mid-late September). This is consistent with his first / second half splits:

Take a look at his game log from about late July on (here). He turned into nothing short of a black hole offensively (absolutely zero power). While this could be a slump or the league catching up with him or whatever you want to believe, you have to figure that, to some extent, the injury was taking its toll.
This is a great point, Kyle. I know there are several Duncan nay sayers on this board, but the stats (with the hernia) can't go unquestioned.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

planet pujolsian wrote:
Kyle wrote:Duncan's stats are adversely skewed by his hernia. He claims that it had been affecting him for around two months (not including mid-late September). This is consistent with his first / second half splits:

This is a great point, Kyle. I know there are several Duncan nay sayers on this board, but the stats (with the hernia) can't go unquestioned.
I have no doubt that Duncan's problems were due to the injury. One cannot swing a bat effectively with a sports hernia.

Blitzer
All-Star

Post by Blitzer »

Definitely would not do it. Cant ship out my boy, Duncan.

Blitzer