Royals sign Guillen

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Re: Royals sign Guillen

Post by Hungary Jack »

Re the Royals, it was reported on WSCR in Chicago that Fukudome had his choices down to the Cubs or the Royals.

Yes, the Royals. And it won't surprise me if sushi becomes very popular in KC.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

I like the Guillen deal. A 31-year old coming off a string of productive seasons might easily command a 5-year deal (Guillen probably would have if he were a CF), but getting him for 3 years mitigates the risk of age-related decline, and really fits the Royals payroll structure very well, as most of their young players are 2-3 years away from being arb-eligible. The Royals can afford to overpay a Meche or Guillen right now in order to build some competitive momentum. I think he'll help that team considerably.

But seeing that the going rate for 110+ OPS corner OF makes me appreciate what I think the Cards have in Ankiel and Duncan. I still think I would deal Duncan to land a starter like E. Santana or Scott Baker, but he's a valuable player for us.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

They've got some decent pieces in place- Gordon, Butler, John Buck, Hochevar, and Grienke. I wouldn't exactly call it a renaissance but it's more than they've had in some time.

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3142696
Sources: Union, MLB in talks on Guillen suspension

The Major League Baseball Players Association is negotiating with MLB officials on a possible 10- to 15-day suspension for outfielder Jose Guillen for his reported involvement in the purchase of steroids and human growth hormone, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney on Wednesday.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported last month that Guillen bought nearly $20,000 worth of steroids and human growth hormone from 2003 through 2005.

Major League Baseball began testing for steroids in 2003, and penalties for first offenses began in 2005. HGH was banned by MLB in January 2005.

"We told the commissioner's office my version of this whole affair, which in some ways has been handled with some errors in the media," Guillen was quoted as saying Tuesday by ESPNdeportes.com when asked about the situation.

Guillen and the Royals reached an agreement on a $36 million, three-year contract Tuesday. The 31-year-outfielder batted .290 with 23 homers and 99 RBIs for the Seattle Mariners this year. Seattle declined its $9 million option and Guillen turned down a $5 million player option, receiving a $500,000 buyout.

Citing business records, the Chronicle reported Guillen bought more than $19,000 worth of drugs from the Palm Beach Rejuvenation Center between May 2002 and June 2005. He played for five teams during that span: the Diamondbacks, Reds, Athletics, Angels and Nationals.

According to the report, some prescriptions for Guillen were written by the same Florida dentist whose license was suspended in 2003 for fraud and incompetence. The dentist also reportedly prescribed HGH to Cleveland Indians pitcher Paul Byrd.

Guillen had some of the shipments sent to the Oakland Coliseum during the 2003 season, after he was traded to the A's, according to the report. The anti-aging clinic was raided in February as part of an investigation by the Albany County, N.Y., district attorney.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

I may have to check out this anti-aging clinic.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Hungary Jack wrote:I may have to check out this anti-aging clinic.
Ok, but only if your username would change to "Hungary Jack*"

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

Hungary Jack wrote:Re the Royals, it was reported on WSCR in Chicago that Fukudome had his choices down to the Cubs or the Royals.

Yes, the Royals. And it won't surprise me if sushi becomes very popular in KC.
They have a potential interesting OF with DeJesus and Teehan being on the roster but supp. avail. Ideally, Fukudome, Teehan, and Guillen would produce the most offense but DeJesus is capable of being an everyday CF'er, Teehan is sketchy as a corner OF'er but has value as a low salary with avg. production. They need a 1B and could stick with Pena for defense at SS.

As much credit as Meche gets for helping turn that team around, the trade for Bannister did more.