Non Tenders-From Rotoworld

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Non Tenders-From Rotoworld

Post by Radbird »

I think Cesar may give you the opportunity to start another "greatest thread", Snayke.

GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer

Post by GatewaySnayke »

Radbird wrote:I think Cesar may give you the opportunity to start another "greatest thread", Snayke.
I doubt it. What made the YaMo thread great was that it stirred up a lot of emotions in people because of the timing. What I learned was that when a player is doing well, it's not right to question whether he will sustain that performance or not. And even if we know that he's not, we shouldn't discuss what will happen or even dig deeper into his numbers because nobody wants to hear criticism about him. I also learned that Molina has cult-like status among fans, giving him immunity from critcism period.

I can't see all of this happening with Cesar Izturis.

ThreeAces
Veteran Player

Post by ThreeAces »

Rangers non-tendered Akinori Otsuka.

picasso
All-Star

Post by picasso »

A list of today's non-tenders from mlbtraderumors
These guys are the officials as of now:

As expected, the Marlins non-tendered catcher Miguel Olivo. He's the closest thing to a starting catcher on the free agent market now.
The Blue Jays non-tendered Josh Towers, a surprising move. Some NL team could offer him two years and get league average work out of him.
Mark Prior has been non-tendered. Honestly if I were the Cubs, I would've tossed the $3.5MM his way just to see.
Aaron Miles is now a free agent.
The A's cut Kiko Calero loose.
The Padres have non-tendered four: Morgan Ensberg, Jason Lane, and pitchers Jack Cassell and Ryan Ketchner. RotoWorld speculates that the latter two, not arbitration eligible, could be offered minor league deals.
The Royals cut the cord on Emil Brown. He turns 33 soon; he hit an ugly .257/.300/.347 in 2007. Brown earned $3.45MM in '07.
The Tigers non-tendered Chad Durbin, toss him into the free agent pool. Guess those trade talks with the Bucs didn't work out.
The Twins have let go Jason Tyner.
The Nats have cut bait with Nook Logan and LHP Michael O'Connor.
The Dodgers wave goodbye to Mark Hendrickson.
The White Sox have non-tendered Andy Gonzalez and LHP Heath Phillips. Joe Crede sticks with the Pale Hose for now.
Adam Everett has lost his job with the Astros. It'd be kind of funny if the Orioles signed him.
Per RotoWorld, the Angels have non-tendered Dallas McPherson. He's full of potential, but he's never come through. He's only 27, though, so he could still catch on somewhere. Unless, RotoWorld notes, he has an agreement in place with the Angels.
The Braves have non-tendered Willie Harris, though he had already been DFA'd.

AlwaysBeClosing
Everyday Player

Post by AlwaysBeClosing »

Josh Towers anyone?

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

http://www.baseball-reference.com/t/towerjo01.shtml

Well, he wasn't as bad in 2007 as he was in 2006...

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

From Rotoworld http://rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=MLB
Mets non-tendered catcher Johnny Estrada, outfielder Ben Johnson and RHP Juan Padilla.

Estrada was a goner from the moment Brian Schneider was acquired, if not before then. Johnson and Padilla get knocked off the roster because they haven't recovered from injuries as well as hoped. The Mets may offer minor league contracts to both.
Pirates non-tendered first baseman Brad Eldred and RHP Brian Rogers.

Both players had already been designated for assignment. The Pirates declined to non-tender any arbitration-eligible players, like Xavier Nady.
Giants non-tendered RHP Scott Munter.

Even with a good sinker, one really has to average more than a strikeout every two weeks to succeed in the majors.
Rockies non-tendered RHP Darren Clarke and outfielder Sean Barker.

Just clearing some dead weight. Clarke and Barker both made their major league debuts last season, but neither was recalled in September.
Reds non-tendered RHP Brad Salmon and infielder-outfielder Jerry Gil.

As many awful pitchers as the Reds went through last year, it was odd how little of a chance Salmon received. He ended up with a 4.13 ERA and a 22/10 K/BB ratio in 24 innings, giving him the third-lowest ERA in the pen, yet he still spent July and August in the minors and all but three of his 26 appearances came in losses. He'll want to head elsewhere as a free agent.

Blue Jays non-tendered RHP Josh Towers.

We'll be kind and say the Jays were merely bluffing when they kept suggesting Towers wouldn't be non-tendered. There was never any good reason for them to pay their seventh or eighth starter $3 million or more. Towers could land in the NL West with the Padres or Rockies.
Yankees non-tendered RHP Darrell Rasner, RHP Matt DeSalvo, RHP T.J. Beam and OF Bronson Sardinha.

That's one way to take care of the 40-man roster crunch. Rasner might end up being the Yankees' cost for Carl Pavano's refusal to accept a minor league deal. Of the four players here, he's the only one with much chance of making the Yankees miss him. Beam might not be completely useless out of the pen, but the Bombers had at least 10 guys in front of him.
Rangers non-tendered RHP Akinori Otsuka and outfielder Nick Gorneault.

The Rangers are setting Otsuka free even though the reports back from his rehabilitation have been positive. With the way the relief market has blown up, it would have been worth the risk to pay Otsuka $4 million, especially since they still would have had him under control for 2009. This makes C.J. Wilson the current favorite to close for the Rangers, though the team figures to consider Octavio Dotel and maybe a couple of other options.
Mariners non-tendered LHP John Parrish.

No Horacio Ramirez. It looks like Bill Bavasi still isn't ready to own up to how much of a mistake the Rafael Soriano trade was. Parrish had a 6.97 ERA in 10 1/3 innings for Seattle, which is actually pretty impressive considering that he allowed 22 hits.
Marlins non-tendered catcher Miguel Olivo.

There was never a doubt that this was coming. Olivo will probably have to accept a job as a backup after starting for the Marlins the last two seasons.
Red Sox non-tendered RHP Brendan Donnelly.

Boston may already have a deal in place with Donnelly, who is scheduled to miss the first four months of next season following Tommy John surgery in August.
And with "Taps" playing in the backgroud.....
Cardinals non-tendered infielder Aaron Miles.

This one comes as a surprise. Miles was his usual mediocre self while getting way too much playing time again last season, finishing at .290/.328/.348 in 414 at-bats. The solid average might have allowed him to double his $1 million salary in arbitration, and the Cardinals apparently weren't willing to spend that much on a utilityman. It suggests that the team will carry Brendan Ryan as a part-time player if he fails to beat out Cesar Izturis for the starting job at shortstop.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

GatewaySnayke wrote: I doubt it. What made the YaMo thread great was that it stirred up a lot of emotions in people because of the timing. What I learned was that when a player is doing well, it's not right to question whether he will sustain that performance or not. And even if we know that he's not, we shouldn't discuss what will happen or even dig deeper into his numbers because nobody wants to hear criticism about him.
I learned that a well-beaten dead horse can be brought back to life.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

The Pirates declined to non-tender any arbitration-eligible players, like Xavier Nady.
I'm confused. This is a double negative--I think. Why can't they just write that they offered arbitration to / extended the Great Nady?