Keith Law on Edmonds/Rolen

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Keith Law on Edmonds/Rolen

Post by heyzeus »

I just peeked into Keith Law's current ESPN chat to see if there was any Cards content. Mikechamp, I don't mean to horn in on your territory, so you can tell me to bugger off from now on :)

Anyway, Law was asked what he thought of the Edmonds trade and the Rolen situation. His response:

"Sounds like they're stuck with Rolen for the moment. I know they've received more inquiries, but nothing's progressed. Edmonds was part salary dump, part making room for Colby Rasmus; the player they got in return, David Freese, is bit of a longshot to make the bigs unless he can improve his catching enough to make him a super-utility player who can handle c-3b-1b-lf. "

I didn't know Freese was also a possible catcher; I'm also not sure that changes anything, at least for 2008.

Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Re: Keith Law on Edmonds/Rolen

Post by Fan_In_NY »

heyzeus wrote:I just peeked into Keith Law's current ESPN chat to see if there was any Cards content. Mikechamp, I don't mean to horn in on your territory, so you can tell me to bugger off from now on :)

Anyway, Law was asked what he thought of the Edmonds trade and the Rolen situation. His response:

"Sounds like they're stuck with Rolen for the moment. I know they've received more inquiries, but nothing's progressed. Edmonds was part salary dump, part making room for Colby Rasmus; the player they got in return, David Freese, is bit of a longshot to make the bigs unless he can improve his catching enough to make him a super-utility player who can handle c-3b-1b-lf. "

I didn't know Freese was also a possible catcher; I'm also not sure that changes anything, at least for 2008.
The Padres tried him at catcher, mainly cause of the logjam at 3B, they felt if there was anywhere else he could play, there would be a chance he could serve some purpose on the Padres in the future. It doesnt shock me that Law isnt a fan of Freeze as he tends to value age and how it relates to upside.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Law later says Rasmus is probably between 5 and 8 in the list of top prospects, and that Colon is seriously damaged goods.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

heyzeus wrote:I just peeked into Keith Law's current ESPN chat to see if there was any Cards content. Mikechamp, I don't mean to horn in on your territory, so you can tell me to bugger off from now on :)
"Bugger off"

:x

:wink:

It's no problem. In fact, if you want to do a "guest transcription" sometime, let me know.

I need to do Callis' chat from yesterday and Law's chat from today when I get home later this evening. I was too tired and sick last night to do Callis'. But I'll make up for it, I promise!

I just hope Law doesn't go on for hours and hours like he sometimes tends to do. Those are teh suck.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Freese can catch a little bit from what I understand. He has a pretty good arm.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

jim wrote:Freese can catch a little bit from what I understand. He has a pretty good arm.
Does he have a Scott Rolen-like, frickin' laser beam?

jim

Post by jim »

mikechamp wrote:
jim wrote:Freese can catch a little bit from what I understand. He has a pretty good arm.
According to a report I read he "touched 1.9" in his pop to pop times. 2 is kind of the seperator between good and bad arms, so I guess he has an average to slightly above average catchers arm. Rolen, if he could get out of a crouch quickly, would beat that.

For reference, Molina has an off the charts 1.7 and touches the 1.6's according to Duncan.

fulldeck
Perennial All-Star

Post by fulldeck »

mikechamp wrote:
Just once, I would like to see the radar gun reading on Rolen's throws.

jim

Post by jim »

fulldeck wrote:
mikechamp wrote:
Just once, I would like to see the radar gun reading on Rolen's throws.
I think the player that threw the ball the hardest on the field of anyone I have ever seen was Shaun Dunston. With a crow hop he had to have been well into triple digits getting it over to first base.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

While I agree Dunston threw the ball really hard, it always seemed like he was trying to throw it through the 1B. Conversely, it never seems like Rolen is really, really trying to throw hard.

And I thought I had read or heard once that Dunston was clocked between 94-98 MPH from the mound, as they once briefly dabbled with the idea of making him a reliever in the offseason/spring training.