Edmonds takes out an ad

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Re: Edmonds takes out an ad

Post by sighyoung »

I have no doubt that Edmonds has pecuniary motives. The ad was still a nice gesture, and certainly thoughtfully worded (even if he didn't write it). That's why I said it was "nicely played".

Beyond that, I'm not staying up nights thinking of it as a love letter, either.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

skmsw wrote: Personally, I figure it more came down to this -- Jimmy loves STL and would have liked to stay, but does not like or trust TLR. And TLR does not like or want Jimmy. And the conversation went more like this:

Jimmy: "I'm healthy for the first time in two years. Do I still have a chance here?"
TLR: "We'll see."
Jimmy: "When will I know where I stand?"
TLR: "I don't know."
Jimmy: "Geez, skip, I'm feeling really good, and I'm in my last couple seasons, I've got a lot to give for a year or two but I'm really on the clock here -- can you throw me ANY bone?"
TLR: "hey, Hollywood, do what y'gotta do."
This goes against pretty much everything I've seen Edmonds say about Tony. Maybe he's being political and saying the right thing, but most of what I've read goes beyond obligatory niceties, and there seems to be genuine fondness and respect there. My interpretation anyway.

For the record though, I don't see anything wrong with either side of the conversation you put forth. Minus the Hollywood thing.

BigDCardlvr
All-Star

Post by BigDCardlvr »

I'm sure the business has something to do about it, but I think it is more than that too. I think he retires a Cardinal and moves into the organization afterwards.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

haltz wrote:
docellis wrote:It is clear (I think) that the Cardinals want to put any hesitant vote toward a younger player. Tony is not likely making that kind of call.
It seems like to me that Tony can ask for or veto whatever he wants, and in doing so he's basically controlling roster construction. Brendan Ryan might be a passable ML SS, but we've spent $5M because he smiles too much -- on two of the worst players in baseball. Rolen's being actively shopped at his low point in value, and Edmonds has moved on for possibly the reasons that Steve has speculated. Joel Pineiro showed some whatever in 60 innings last year, and Matt Clement impressed the coaches with his hard sinker way back when.

Every move has TLR's fingerprint on it, except for the So Taguchi / Brian Barton swap. Even then, it's possible that LaRussa was as sick of watching the Gooch muff fly balls last year as I was. Oddly enough, the metrics still say he was OK out there.

It's all really adding up to the point where not only is 2008 a punt, but it won't be a useful punt at all. I thought this was incredibly obvious when he re-upped, Pineiro got signed, and the Antonetti/Mozeliak business went down and, well, I guess I still need to wait and see.

Well aren't you just the mega fly in the soup. :cry: Way to put a downer on a really nice thread. :wink:

Whatever the reason was for Edmonds leaving, and whatever the reason was for the ad, it's a really cool gesture. Ozzie Smith, take note.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Socnorb11 wrote:Way to put a downer on a really nice thread. :wink:
And I was too much of a fanboy when he got traded. Go figure.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

KyCardinalFan wrote:
jim wrote:I am such a cynical SOB I guess. Don't get me wrong, I loved Edmonds as a Cardinal and was and still am against the trade. But I think this ad has alot more to do with his restaurant than anything.

The one time I got some face time with Edmonds was at picture day in 2006. Edmonds, Tags, and JRod were the three guys that just went above and beyond, really getting in the crowd and talking. Edmonds seems like a great guy.

But I still think the ad is about business.
I thought the same thing, but didn't have the guts to say so after all the 'classy' posts.

I'm sure he likes STL and it'd be nice if he came back in a coaching role, but the bottom line for him is the restaurant that he *just* opened. Shouldn't tick off the clientele while trying to get the business established.

Well I am sure it cost a bunch to start it. And I know he gave a bunch of money to other stl businesses (like McKernan's site). He has invested here. I would visit the places he has invested to prove I appreciate his time and above average service to the team.