Will Harris: Cardinals Preview

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Go_Crazy_Folks
Everyday Player

Will Harris: Cardinals Preview

Post by Go_Crazy_Folks »

Now this is centered more from a fantasy point but I was very suprised to see how bad of an article this was from an ESPN source. This is the last line of the article:
Expect La Russa and Pujols to land with another franchise soon so that the rebuilding can commence in earnest. St. Louis fans should hunker down over a slab of ribs from C & K and start wondering if the Rams will be any good this fall.
http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseb ... stlpreview

Windy City Flyer
Veteran Player

Re: Will Harris: Cardinals Preview

Post by Windy City Flyer »

I don't know about you guys but if the Cards traded Pujols in the near future(like this year or next year) I would start doubting my fanship. Am I a true fan?

GOOCH
Everyday Player

Post by GOOCH »

I think that was the most moronic thing said in a fairly moronic preview. Park factors over just a couple of season are notoriously unreliable (just look at the swings from year to year from those estimations...parks's don't change...but the players playing in them do). So fantasy owners would be fools (like Will) to put alot of weight on the 19% neg for Busch II.

He is just flat wrong about the rotation. Uh, no, Matt Clement is NOT the only change from last years rotation. Pinero was a late season add, he wasn't part of the rotation for most of last season. Further, Mulder is expected back this season, bumping someone (probably Reyes) from the rotation who wasn't in it last year.

D.GOOCH

StatmanCrothers
Perennial All-Star

Post by StatmanCrothers »

Windy City Flyer wrote:I don't know about you guys but if the Cards traded Pujols in the near future(like this year or next year) I would start doubting my fanship. Am I a true fan?
no.

you must stick with the team through everything, and it will be worth it when they do well, even if it takes years.

i got so much more enjoyment from the 1982 world series, after suffering through the lean years of the 70s. I felt true ownership of my allegiance to this team. likewise for the early 90s leading up to the LaRussa years.

hunker down for the long haul, my droogies.

hunker down but do not hunker away.

you never know when a team's chemistry is going to fall into place.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I almost posted this article when I read the quote about LaRussa and Pujols finding new franchises soon. I know the guy's a fantasy baseball writer, but really. There's no excuse for ignorance in this day and age. Especially because, since he's a fantasy baseball dude, he's no doubt sitting in front of a computer 15 hours a day, pouring over precious precious data. Memo to dude: Look up Pujols' contract situation (locked in, very reasonable deal) before writing column.

Windy City Flyer
Veteran Player

Post by Windy City Flyer »

StatmanCrothers wrote:
Windy City Flyer wrote:I don't know about you guys but if the Cards traded Pujols in the near future(like this year or next year) I would start doubting my fanship. Am I a true fan?
no.

you must stick with the team through everything, and it will be worth it when they do well, even if it takes years.

i got so much more enjoyment from the 1982 world series, after suffering through the lean years of the 70s. I felt true ownership of my allegiance to this team. likewise for the early 90s leading up to the LaRussa years.

hunker down for the long haul, my droogies.

hunker down but do not hunker away.

you never know when a team's chemistry is going to fall into place.
This disgusts me. I hate our owners. I hate our management. I hate the fact that the Yankees could contend every year. I hate those that don't support the troops. and I hate horseradish!

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

Windy City Flyer wrote:and I hate horseradish!
BOO! How could you hate horseradish??

--

And yes that article is another trophy of dumbness in ESPN's Dumbness case. It isn't even worth the air one would breathe in the ten minutes worth of reading it.
Last edited by Cronos on February 12 08, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Post by cpebbles »

Who's more now: Will Harris or Joe Sheehan?

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

Go_Crazy_Folks wrote:Now this is centered more from a fantasy point but I was very suprised to see how bad of an article this was from an ESPN source. This is the last line of the article:
Expect La Russa and Pujols to land with another franchise soon so that the rebuilding can commence in earnest. St. Louis fans should hunker down over a slab of ribs from C & K and start wondering if the Rams will be any good this fall.
http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseb ... stlpreview
I think the writer was looking for something snappy to close out his column.

But he laid a turd instead.

Maclowery
Child Pot Activist

Post by Maclowery »

Hah. I also copied that line with the intention of mentioning it here if it hadn't already been. Worst team in the National League, eh? Wow. I hardly think we can get 90 wins, but worst team? You gotta be joking.