Joba to start 2008 in pen, finish as starter

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Michael
GRB Founder

Joba to start 2008 in pen, finish as starter

Post by Michael »

There reportedly will be a whole new set of "Joba Rules" in 2008.

The New York Post reported Tuesday that New York Yankees phenom Joba Chamberlain will begin the season as Mariano Rivera's setup man, then be sent down to the minors in June to stretch out his arm so he can be part of New York's rotation for the second half.

According to the Post, the Yankees want to limit the 22-year-old Chamberlain to approximately 140 innings in 2008 and starting him out of the bullpen will help to keep his innings count down.
Full Story

This is a really smart approach to developing a young pitcher. I think we're going to see more and more teams doing this.

Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Re: Joba to start 2008 in pen, finish as starter

Post by Fan_In_NY »

Michael wrote:
This is a really smart approach to developing a young pitcher. I think we're going to see more and more teams doing this.
Its what the Twins did with Johan Santana, and his arm has held up very very well. They also did this with Liriano.

omaha_red
Hall Of Famer

Post by omaha_red »

...from the university of nebraska.. yeah..

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Fan_In_NY wrote:
Michael wrote:
Its what the Twins did with Johan Santana, and his arm has held up very very well. They also did this with Liriano.

Of course Liriano still had to have surgery.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Cards do this with Jaime Garcia next year, especially after what they've seen happen with AW vs. AReyes.