GDT 3/9/08: Cards @ Braves

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Re: GDT 3/9/08: Cards @ Braves

Post by Jmodene »

haltz wrote:
Jmodene wrote:Well, the reason I say this is because some people simply aren't capable of enjoying it when we *do* win - they'd rather wallow in their low expectations for this particular team.
That's simply not true. Your obsession with this made-up issue is much more annoying anyway.
I'll never figure out why negativity=realism on these forums.
Because this team probably isn't going to be very good. It's not a hard concept.
Yes, but the negativity is there even when the team is winning 105 games. *That's* what I can't figure out. I can only blame Steinbrennerism, the obsessive desire to win every game by at least 10 runs, be 10 games in front by the end of April, and then slowly pull away from the pack.

Such is modern sports fandom - the insistence on winning as if it's somehow *owed* to the fan.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Jmodene wrote:Yes, but the negativity is there even when the team is winning 105 games. *That's* what I can't figure out.
It's called Cards Talk, and the other forums filled with idiots. I know you post everywhere, so you know what I'm talking about. I don't see how this applies, though. GRB didn't even exist. Realism is going to be negative currently, if that's what you want to call it. If you are complaining about three years ago, then I'm really confused by "this particular team" and "these forums" unless you mean the Cardinals and Internet message boards?
I can only blame Steinbrennerism, the obsessive desire to win every game by at least 10 runs, be 10 games in front by the end of April, and then slowly pull away from the pack.

Such is modern sports fandom - the insistence on winning as if it's somehow *owed* to the fan.
Fans want their team to win, and we all are obsessed to the tune of posting on a message board about it. The rest of it is a straw man. Of course it would be ridiculous for people to expect for the Cardinals to bludgeon other teams by ten runs a game (although according to you that would kill "these forums"). Win the division every year? If they do need to retool after a great run they do it well? Sure, that's what I want.
Last edited by haltz on March 9 08, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Post by greenback44 »

It's not any healthier to obsess on the weaknesses of generally reasonable posts than it is to obsess on the weaknesses of generally successful baseball teams. This isn't a good baseball team. Telling reasonable folks to stop discussing that won't make it a good team.

I've come to recognize that when I start psychoanalyzing posters rather than responding to individual posts, then it's time to move on.

Phyrkrakr
All-Star

Post by Phyrkrakr »

greenback44 wrote:I've come to recognize that when I start psychoanalyzing posters rather than responding to individual posts, then it's time to move on.
And finally, sense is spoken.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Phyrkrakr wrote:
greenback44 wrote:I've come to recognize that when I start psychoanalyzing posters rather than responding to individual posts, then it's time to move on.
And finally, sense is spoken.
In fairness, I feel somewhat responsible for Jmodene's reaction because of my comment at the end of the Dodgers/Cardinals thread. I didn't mean to come off as that hopeless or sour--it was just a snide comment about a blowout, with memories of last year's blowouts--but Jmodene's interpretation was a fair one.

For what it's worth, I'm just sitting back and watching spring training unfold--which is why I haven't posted that much in the Baseball forum. I mostly sit back, listen, and learn.

So I didn't mean to set anyone off, or stir up bad blood between posters, which I fear I've done. And I feel badly about it, because I really respect the posters in this thread.

greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Post by greenback44 »

Bah, if it hadn't been yesterday, it would've been next week or some time in April. Somebody will crack a joke at the Cardinals' troubles or exaggerate a bit, somebody will respond that it's too negative and somebody will take offense to the soapboxing. I hate this meta stuff, but in all likelihood this will be a recurring theme in 2008. We all got to figure out how we're going to deal with it. It's Spring Training for Internet message boards too!

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

sighyoung wrote:For what it's worth, I'm just sitting back and watching spring training unfold--which is why I haven't posted that much in the Baseball forum. I mostly sit back, listen, and learn.
Same here, sigh. I'll probably also be that way most of the regular season (and postseason, too, for that matter. :wink: )

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

ron flores, brian barden, and marti were reassigned after the game

Centreville
Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows

Post by Centreville »

Jmodene wrote:
haltz wrote:
Jmodene wrote:Well, the reason I say this is because some people simply aren't capable of enjoying it when we *do* win - they'd rather wallow in their low expectations for this particular team.
That's simply not true. Your obsession with this made-up issue is much more annoying anyway.
I'll never figure out why negativity=realism on these forums.
Because this team probably isn't going to be very good. It's not a hard concept.
Yes, but the negativity is there even when the team is winning 105 games. *That's* what I can't figure out. I can only blame Steinbrennerism, the obsessive desire to win every game by at least 10 runs, be 10 games in front by the end of April, and then slowly pull away from the pack.

And look what happened to that team that won 105 games. I was skeptical about them while they were winning that amount of ballgames, because I thought they would somehow mess up come October. It was an annual trend. Call it Cubitis...

Tarver
Everyday Player

Post by Tarver »

greenback44 wrote:Bah, if it hadn't been yesterday, it would've been next week or some time in April. Somebody will crack a joke at the Cardinals' troubles or exaggerate a bit, somebody will respond that it's too negative and somebody will take offense to the soapboxing. I hate this meta stuff, but in all likelihood this will be a recurring theme in 2008. We all got to figure out how we're going to deal with it. It's Spring Training for Internet message boards too!
FWIW, during the Cubs' horrid '06, I just chose the worst regular on the team at the time and railed on him. Defining a common enemy should help clear up the infighting.

Coincidentally, that same player just happens to be hitting .100.
Last edited by Tarver on March 10 08, 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.