BP Q&A w/Luhnow

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
UK
Perennial All-Star

BP Q&A w/Luhnow

Post by UK »

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... cleid=7216
DL: Can you give us an update, and brief scouting reports, on Jaime Garcia and Chris Perez?

JL: Chris has an electric arm, no doubt about it. He has a fastball in the mid-nineties and he will occasionally touch the upper nineties. His slider is hard and sharp, and he has a slower curveball to complement those two hard pitches. If he commands his stuff and stays healthy, Chris will be a successful major league pitcher. This is only his second full professional season, so there is no reason to rush him. Jaime features three pitches (fastball, curveball, changeup), all of which could be above average at the major league level. He will be in the mix for a rotation spot in Triple-A or Double-A coming out of spring training. Few lefties have his skill and repertoire, and he has a tremendous aptitude for and attitude about the game. He is young, and has a bright future in front of him.

Tarver
Everyday Player

Re: BP Q&A w/Luhnow

Post by Tarver »

A Cards' FO report on MiL pitchers and no mention of sinking fastballs? That's got to be a first.

Phyrkrakr
All-Star

Re: BP Q&A w/Luhnow

Post by Phyrkrakr »

Tarver wrote:A Cards' FO report on MiL pitchers and no mention of sinking fastballs? That's got to be a first.
Well, you know how Luhnow and the Deacon get along...

Hopefully it's obvious that I'm being facetious. On the bright side, it does sound like Chris Perez has the raw talent to close ball games. I'm pretty sure he's still at least a year away from cracking the big club, however. I'd expect him to get a call up in, say, late July, so he can start interning under Izzy and working with Yadi/LaRue to get that closer mentality. I think everyone will agree that the kid has the talent to be a closer. There's still some questions about his walk rate, but I'd assume that Dyar Miller would insist that he throws more strikes before recommending him to the higher ups. I know that the Deacon will want to see him this year, possibly even having an old pro take a look at Perez' mechanics before the season is out.