The pitching mechanics thread (split from Reyes)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Re: The pitching mechanics thread/formerly "Reyes"

Post by phins »

RC21* wrote:Good idea.
I was going to say this as well. When he reaches 12 or so, teach him the "handshake" curve ball. All it will really do is move down a few inches, but the speed differential is solid, and it teaches the kid the arm action, so when he's ready to step up to a more aggressive curveball, his arm will have worked some "muscle memory."

He'll also be the only ten year old on the team with two pitches :P

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

Most kids that age want to overthrow the FB, try and keep pushing about location even at a young age.

I wouldn't be a fanatic about mechanics much more than eyes and front shoulder on the target and elbow above shoulder with a kid that young.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

phinstd wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:
jim wrote:
phinstd wrote:
UK wrote:RC used a pringles can and I used a tennis ball can and I was taught to throw the curve the same way. Doesn't mean I could throw it though.
We used tennis balls to learn to throw the curve, because it was lighter. We realized it wouldn't do what it was supposed to without the laces, we were merely working on grip and motion.
Oooo.. I don't know if it's true or not but I was raised believing, and preached, to never ever ever ever ever throw tennis balls or anything that light. I have no idea why to be honest, I was just told it would do terrible things to your arm.
So you're saying wiffleballs are bad for your arm then....who knew :wink:

This is a pretty interesting conversation and for someone that still plays some baseball some good tips as well. I always like to hear ways that I can work on my mechanics as a pitcher.
I'm by no means an expert, but the guy who taught me is, so if you have any questions, I always just love to talk baseball.

My little bro is a pitcher in college now, so I have at least have one protege in college :wink:

Who knows: I could have several kids with their arms falling off today because of my tennis ball grip drill...
When dealing w/ things like pitching mechanics its pretty hard to pick up what I'm doing wrong and implement it by just reading what someone is saying though. I find it interesting as far as what drills to work on (although much of this is geared towards a younger player, I'm 30 years old so things are probably a bit different in my case).

Not that I need lessons on how to pitch it would be really nice to go to someone that's trained and have them break down my mechanics. I'm sure I'm doing so many things wrong I wouldn't know where to start.

phins

Post by phins »

UK wrote:
Most kids that age want to overthrow the FB, try and keep pushing about location even at a young age.

I wouldn't be a fanatic about mechanics much more than eyes and front shoulder on the target and elbow above shoulder with a kid that young.
Two other things just to add on (I'm sure you both already know this though): I'd really work with him on landing in a consistent position with his foot pointed at the target. It is amazing how much more accurate a kid can be when he lands with his foot pointed where he wants to throw it.

The other is to always preach a nice follow through. Right handed pitcher should end up by the left knee etc. Basic stuff that I don't have to tell you, but thought I would expound upon UK's post.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

cardinalkarp wrote:When dealing w/ things like pitching mechanics its pretty hard to pick up what I'm doing wrong and implement it by just reading what someone is saying though. I find it interesting as far as what drills to work on (although much of this is geared towards a younger player, I'm 30 years old so things are probably a bit different in my case).

Not that I need lessons on how to pitch it would be really nice to go to someone that's trained and have them break down my mechanics. I'm sure I'm doing so many things wrong I wouldn't know where to start.
The three things that I'd tell you are:

1. be sure to pitch "downhill" (i.e. your landing foot should land toe first)

2. follow through. It sounds stupid but honestly, it's a big deal. If you're a RHP, make sure that the right side of your right wrist touches the left side of your left knee.

3. keep your balance throughout (i.e. no violent leg kicks, keep your hands quiet until your hands part, etc...)

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

phinstd wrote:
UK wrote:

Two other things just to add on (I'm sure you both already know this though): I'd really work with him on landing in a consistent position with his foot pointed at the target. It is amazing how much more accurate a kid can be when he lands with his foot pointed where he wants to throw it.

The other is to always preach a nice follow through. Right handed pitcher should end up by the left knee etc. Basic stuff that I don't have to tell you, but thought I would expound upon UK's post.
Heh... see above post to Karp.

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

People make pitching mechanics way more complicated than it really is.

phins

Post by phins »

One last basic thing for your nephew :P

If he is throwing the ball high, try having him shorten his leg drive a little bit, and vice versa if he is throwing low. The arm tends to lag and follow what the legs are doing in youngsters, and I've had good success with this simple little tweak.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

This is all good stuff. Thanks to all.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

RC21* wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:When dealing w/ things like pitching mechanics its pretty hard to pick up what I'm doing wrong and implement it by just reading what someone is saying though. I find it interesting as far as what drills to work on (although much of this is geared towards a younger player, I'm 30 years old so things are probably a bit different in my case).

The three things that I'd tell you are:

1. be sure to pitch "downhill" (i.e. your landing foot should land toe first)

2. follow through. It sounds stupid but honestly, it's a big deal. If you're a RHP, make sure that the right side of your right wrist touches the left side of your left knee.

3. keep your balance throughout (i.e. no violent leg kicks, keep your hands quiet until your hands part, etc...)
I'm pretty sure I've got 1 and 3 taken care of. I know I need to work on my follow through, many times I find myself too straight up on my follow through.

I'm a lefty that relies heavily on location, location, location. My fastball is probably around the 78-80mph range and I've got a decent curve. I would really like to learn a good circle change but man that grip is just not comfortable in my hand. When I try to throw it I've got no clue where the ball will end up.