Post by Old_Timer_1944 »

I'm reminded of another Joe:

Phyrkrakr
All-Star

Re: Joe Mather

Post by Phyrkrakr »

clevername wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:him as a 3b'man either.
that would actually be a swell development.

I don't suppose there's any chance Craig or Freese could be developed into 2B if Mather were somehow able to take over 3rd after Glaus is gone?
Craig was originally drafted as a shortstop out of Cal, so there's a possibility he could play middle infield. He has exactly three minor league games at short and one at second, (all at low A), but that's more than Freese. Freese is by all accounts a true 3B with bad footwork. They both profile more as Spiezio/Mabry type of utility guys than anything else. Also worth noting is that Freese is in Memphis and Craig is at Springfield. Both are C-level prospects who were drafted because they can hit.

As far as Mather replacing Glaus, that's not very likely. Scouts are still divided, but it's telling that Mather hasn't really played 3B since 2004 at low A, except for a couple of games the next season after a callup to Palm Beach. I should mention that I couldn't find position stats for Mather's three seasons at Johnson City and New Jersey, but that he was originally a shortstop and converted to third after being drafted.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Both are C-level prospects who were drafted because they can hit.
I would disagree with that, especially with Craig. Craig will be a top 100 at the end of the year.

cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Post by cpebbles »

Fat Strat wrote:
Both are C-level prospects who were drafted because they can hit.
I would disagree with that, especially with Craig. Craig will be a top 100 at the end of the year.
Craig is going to have to duplicate his May numbers (.327/.356/.611) from here on to sniff top 100s. His overall numbers (.275/.332/.472) aren't anything special. It's been said that the difference in environments between Palm Beach and Springfield cancels out the difference in level of play, and Craig's .312/.370/.530 line in Palm Beach was only enough to earn him "sleeper" status.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

His overall numbers (.275/.332/.472) aren't anything special. It's been said that the difference in environments between Palm Beach and Springfield cancels out the difference in level of play, and Craig's .312/.370/.530 line in Palm Beach was only enough to earn him "sleeper" status.
He's fallen off a little since I last looked. (Heck, an 0-6 last night, and an 0 for his last 13). 11 HR's a climbing, though. I think he'll get there by the end of the season.

longhornbaseball
Perennial All-Star

Post by longhornbaseball »

Fat Strat wrote:
His overall numbers (.275/.332/.472) aren't anything special. It's been said that the difference in environments between Palm Beach and Springfield cancels out the difference in level of play, and Craig's .312/.370/.530 line in Palm Beach was only enough to earn him "sleeper" status.
He's fallen off a little since I last looked. (Heck, an 0-6 last night, and an 0 for his last 13). 11 HR's a climbing, though. I think he'll get there by the end of the season.
Unless Boggs stays up and Razzle Dazzle, Garcia, and Anderson lose their rookie status, Craig will have a tough time cracking our top ten, IMO. Forget top 100. Right now I'd say:

1. Rasmus
2. Garcia
3. Anderson
4. Kozma
5. Boggs
6. Mortensen
7. Todd
8. Wallace
9. Jones
10. Herron

HawaiiCardFan
AA Minor League Player

Post by HawaiiCardFan »

Jocephus wrote:
cpebbles wrote:How old is Helen Mirren? I mean, I'd definitely be thinking about a ~30 year old Mirren at the time, but...
helen mirren is hot...taking into age factors, AORP (age over replacement player), post-season awards, etc

Just thought I would let you know that Helen Mirran is about 63 years old. If you want to see her when she was young, check out the movie "Excalibur". She played Morgana and she made this old man's blood boil...whew!

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

HawaiiCardFan wrote:
Jocephus wrote:
cpebbles wrote:How old is Helen Mirren? I mean, I'd definitely be thinking about a ~30 year old Mirren at the time, but...
helen mirren is hot...taking into age factors, AORP (age over replacement player), post-season awards, etc

Just thought I would let you know that Helen Mirran is about 63 years old. If you want to see her when she was young, check out the movie "Excalibur". She played Morgana and she made this old man's blood boil...whew!
see the GILF thread in social!!

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

Jocephus wrote:
HawaiiCardFan wrote:
Jocephus wrote:

She also played the commander of the "Leonov" in "2010".

see the GILF thread in social!!