Cardinals could move McClellan to starter

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MDCardsFan
All-Star

Re: Cardinals could move McClellan to starter

Post by MDCardsFan »

greenback44 wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:
MDCardsFan wrote:How in the hell is Reyes not been called up?

Even if he's going to be unloaded at some point, he's easily the best of a lot of bad options at this point. He must have been caught diddling TLRs wife or something.
What the heck has Reyes done to suggest he should start again in the major leagues?
Pitch better than Mike Parisi? Start a single game above A-ball and have a sub-5 ERA as a starter in the minors? Not get shutdown with an elbow injury that limited him to 100 innings in 2007?

In an ideal world Anthony Reyes does not start in the majors this season. Actually in an ideal world he's part of a trade for something vaguely resembling an average middle infielder. But also in an ideal world you aren't starting Mike Parisi, Kyle McClellan or Jaime Garcia in the majors in 2008.

What he said.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I wouldn't do it because he's been our best option for the 7th inning. The bullpen is a real weak spot right now, and I wouldn't want to further weaken it just to try something with the rotation (that probably won't work).

If we had Springer, Franklin, and Izzy all pitching effectively to take care of innings 7-8-9 every night, it would be one thing. But we don't.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I wonder if I am still supposed to be mad that TLR pulled him early the other day.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Popeye_Card wrote:I wouldn't do it because he's been our best option for the 7th inning. The bullpen is a real weak spot right now, and I wouldn't want to further weaken it just to try something with the rotation (that probably won't work).

If we had Springer, Franklin, and Izzy all pitching effectively to take care of innings 7-8-9 every night, it would be one thing. But we don't.
In fairness, you would probably gain Pineiro or Looper in that 7-8th inning not too long in the future. We know Looper can handle that well enough, and Perez has taken over the 8th inning with authority.

Swingingbunt
All-Star

Post by Swingingbunt »

Would Pinero want to move back to the bullpen? That's why we got him in the first place. The Red Sox moved him to the bullpen, he told them he wanted to start. He was ok with being sent to AAA to start rather than relieve in the Majors.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

Piñiero makes too much for the bullpen.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

greenback44 wrote: What the heck has Reyes done to suggest he should start again in the major leagues?
Pitch better than Mike Parisi? Start a single game above A-ball and have a sub-5 ERA as a starter in the minors? Not get shutdown with an elbow injury that limited him to 100 innings in 2007?

But also in an ideal world you aren't starting Mike Parisi, Kyle McClellan or Jaime Garcia in the majors in 2008.[/quote]

Pitching better than Parisi has shouldn't get you much of anything.

I've at least seen McClellan pitch well in the major leagues. Most all of his rate stats are better than any of Reyes' seasons outside this year and his 13 innings from 2005. I'd certainly give him a try before considering Reyes again. I understand there's a significant gap in the number of innings between the two, but taking innings into account doesn't work to Reyes' favor anyway. He's proved with over 200 innings that he shouldn't start.

Give him a try. If he doesn't work, it's not a big deal.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

ghostrunner wrote:Give him a try. If he doesn't work, it's not a big deal.
Unless his shoulder flies off. He should be fine after TJS from what I know, but he pitched 60 innings last year and 7 the year before that. He's recovered from two surgeries since he was last a starting pitcher. I'd at least wait until it's not the middle of the season (and he's on a 75 IP pace as it is) and not hand him the ball in the first inning with a week's notice or whatever.