Fear and Loathing; Wainwright to DL (Update: Starts Friday!)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Re: (Updated) Fear and Loathing; Wainwright to DL

Post by clevername »

so now the talk of him coming back sooner if he's the closer is moot and he should come back as a starter regardless.

If they groom him to have longer appearances and it takes longer to get back with the big league club we lose all benefit of him closing sooner.

arnie.k
All-Star

Post by arnie.k »

heyzeus wrote:"We decided we didn't want to get Wainwright in a position where he's throwing 25 pitches, 25 pitches and then, oh wait, we need him as a starter.""
way to do that...

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

greenback44 wrote:Yeah, La Russa has used Springer the way my department might use a competent old dude threatening to retire. The work he's getting is useful, but it's as if they don't want to put too much stress on him.

With the understandable desire to get Wainwright on the roster ASAP, and with all the off days in August followed by the opportunity to have a 20-man pitching staff in September, I can see how Wainwright might be as valuable in the pen as in the rotation. That would require La Russa completely dumping the pitching script he's used most of the last 20 years though, and I can't see him doing that. They faced a need-to-think-outside-the-box decision last September, and their answer was sticking Mulder and Maroth in the rotation.
You make a really good point. However, the one notable time that he strayed into the line of thinking that you describe just happens to be the '06 playoffs with Wainwright.

NLDS, Game 1: 1.1 IP save for AW
NLDS, Game 2: 1.1 IP save for AW
NLCS, Game 5: 1.1 IP save for AW
WS, Game 4: 1.2 IP (blown save, and a win in relief)

I know it's not exactly what you're emphasizing because I'm pretty sure that he wasn't necessarily coming in during the highest leverage situations in, say, the 7th inning. But there was no hesitation with AW, with the season on the line, to extend him beyond just the classic TLR-one inning save situation.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Rehab start tonight in Springfield

4.2 innings, 3 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 7 Ks.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Sweet.

tenniseleven
Veteran Player

Post by tenniseleven »

super sweet...

we have to have one of either Wainy or Carp in the rotation to be a real contender...

both would be nice in September, but I'm not holding my breath...

both would be nice in October, too...

M1IRONMIKE
Well hello, pilgrim

Post by M1IRONMIKE »

tenniseleven wrote:super sweet...

we have to have one of either Wainy or Carp in the rotation to be a real contender...

both would be nice in September, but I'm not holding my breath...

both would be nice in October, too...
i agree......if we could find our way into the postseason i would be ecstatic with a healthy carp, lohse and healthy wainwright as top 3 in the rotation. I say leave perez in the closer role and stop this notion of wainwright possibly going to the pen. A rookie closer worked out pretty well for us in 1985 and 2006

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

I agree mike, a solid starting rotation is the bread and butter of a pitching staff. I like AW in the rotation and take my chances with Perez.

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument
Rehabbing a severely sprained right middle finger, Wainwright threw 64 pitches, and of the 14 outs he worked, half were strikeouts. Most of those strikeouts were on his off-speed pitches, including a curve that was the best it has been, Wainwright said. The righthander allowed three hits, all singles, all grounders that got through. Forty-three of his 64 pitches were strikes.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

This news makes me a happy zeus.