What's with this guy who wrote the 'article'

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
fanforever
Retired

What's with this guy who wrote the 'article'

Post by fanforever »

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/200 ... tches.html

I'm just at a loss for words. FOX's national voice for Baseball openly admitted to not enjoying the game he covers, cramming for weekend matchups, thinking that the games are too long and that the game just isn't the same. Unbelievable. You're getting paid millions of dollars for watching a game three hours. Cry me a river! What's even worse than that was the fact that he was on for another 4 or 5 minutes talking about a Cubs-Red Sox World Series. Are you kidding me?!

Without going off my rocker I just want to point out that this is the reason why everyone is upset with a lot of broadcasters in Sports. You have the coolest damn job in the World in Sports Fans eyes, and while you're supposed to be serving as the voice of the fans, you act like you're above the game. This is the main reason why Joe Buck and his kind are probably the worst thing for Sports. Buck wants to be a Hollywood star and doesn't have time for the Sport that brought him to the dance. Well his father brought him to the dance in the family station wagon, but Baseball is ultimately who he's partying with. You get my point.

I completely understand the average American not watching Baseball during the week. You have kids, your job is demanding and you're just tired as hell. I get it and that's what the internet is for. But for a daily Sports talk show host and the voice of the World Series to bash Sports this way is just wrong and shows how much the game suffers when you continue to put them on air. It's your g'damn job to know what you're talking about. It's people like this that give the whole profession a bad name and make those who do their homework and bust their ass look bad by association.

There's always a disparity in the way I cover announcers on the site. One of the main things I say during radio and online interviews is that there's a HUGE difference between an announcer who makes a ton mistakes and one who makes mistakes while putting himself above the game. I'll take John Madden's insane ramblings any day because you know in the end he loves the Sport of Football and he's just crazed at the moment and can't put his thoughts together.

Joe Buck is the worst of the worst in my book and if he doesn't want to call Baseball anymore there are a million of people that would jump at the chance. Hurry up and give him a talk show FOX so I can completely tune him out.
Last edited by fanforever on July 3 08, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Radio_Bugtussle
Perennial All-Star

Re: What's with Joe Buck?

Post by Radio_Bugtussle »

Sure, a million people would jump at the chance. And about 17 would do a good job.

Baseball is far from perfect. There is much truth in Buck's rant. He's seen the game up close for his entire life in a way that few others have. He's right. The games are too long--thanks in large part to TV jamming as much ad time in as they can get away with.

Sutter'sBeard
is the oscar meyer weiner kid

Post by Sutter'sBeard »

No one likes honesty nowadays. I bet all of the broadcasters feel similar.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Please feel free to never call another baseball game again then. Something stating such in writing would be preferable.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I don't understand why you need an announcer to love a sport. I already love it, I don't need help. The more dispassionate, the better IMO. I can't stand Ron Santo.

Also, anyone writing a blog about bad announcing has too much time on their hands.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I'm sure Joe Buck loves the game of baseball (and football). What he's saying is that he's not some uber-passionate fan watching games non-stop.

Honestly, that's a healthy attitude. It's his job, and I'm sure he enjoys getting away from sports for a little while during his free time to spend with his family, etc.

If you think anyone involved in the game should be following it 24/7, I think you have the problem. For goodness sake, it's just sports.

EDIT: Oh, and this is just insane:
I completely understand the average American not watching Baseball during the week. You have kids, your job is demanding and you're just tired as hell. I get it and that's what the internet is for. But for a daily Sports talk show host and the voice of the World Series to bash Sports this way is just wrong and shows how much the game suffers when you continue to put them on air. It's your g'damn job to know what you're talking about.
So announcers aren't allowed to spend time with their kids, or be tired from travelling all around the country all week every week of the year? And how is he bashing sports? By saying the games are too long?

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Please feel free to never call another baseball game again then. Something stating such in writing would be preferable.
So everyone who ever has a bad day at work and complains should quit? That's a pretty elitist attitude.

maddash
is eerily well-versed on Project Runway and irony

Post by maddash »

The title of this thread should be changed to "What's with this guy who wrote the 'article'?"

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Socnorb11 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Please feel free to never call another baseball game again then. Something stating such in writing would be preferable.
So everyone who ever has a bad day at work and complains should quit? That's a pretty elitist attitude.
I think TT just doesn't like Joe Buck. No Cub fan does.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Socnorb11 wrote:
No, I'd just prefer if I never saw Joe Buck call another game of anything ever again.