Mother Earth

Re: Post Game Thread: July whatever.

Post by Hungary Jack »

Anthony Reyes is the answer.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

Id like to see Perez back up, give him a shot at closing and put everyone else in their normal spots. If our starters could go deeper into games i think that would fix alot of the pens problems.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Izzy's been 2 wins worse than a replacement reliever, so it's pretty bad. He has the worst WXRL and WPA for any reliever in baseball.

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

Hungary Jack wrote:Anthony Reyes is the answer.
If that's the case, I don't want to know the question.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

haltz wrote:Izzy's been 2 wins worse than a replacement reliever, so it's pretty bad. He has the worst WXRL and WPA for any reliever in baseball.
He's been terrible, and 2 wins worse than replacment level is really bad. But I just caution against the fantasy of adding 8-10 tallies on the W side if Izzy wasn't around. It's just not so. But still, 2 games worse than replacement is more than enough to cost a team a pennant, so I'm not minimizing it either.

skmsw
Perennial All-Star

Post by skmsw »

Yeah, I'm always cautious about figuring that we "should" be in first place "if not for the bullpen," or really, any time you get a player or group of players performing worse than expected. Because there is always variation -- what if the bullpen were better, but Miles and Ludwick were performing the way they "should be" ???

Anyhow, bullpens are tough anyhow. Last year's good relievers are this year's disappointments, and that is not unusual. As long as we're talking about guys who pitch to 1-3 batters per appearance, they will always be subject to wide variations in performance. This was really jumping out at me when I took a quick scan of Sherrill when the rumor came out that the Cards might be interested in him. Look at the years of 70 appearances and 45 innings. How much can you really know about what to expect from a history like that?

tscards
Veteran Player

Post by tscards »

Hungary Jack wrote:Anthony Reyes is the answer.
At this point, can't see why not - give it a shot!

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Popeye_Card wrote:
Faceman wrote:
What you are saying is also true, that the talent on this team should not be expected to be better than 3 games out with a week left in July.
Even better than that. 2 games out, and 2 games behind the best record in the NL.

Also, even with all of the struggles the bullpen has had, the Cardinals are 21-17 in one-run games, so they're still slightly on the lucky side (as well as being +3 vs. their Pythag record). We've also won more blowouts (+5 runs) than we've lost (15-12).
It's stats like this why I still like their chances this year. They also have a solid road record. This year aint a fluke, but boy would another arm or two in that bullpen help.

By the way, the stats on Izzy and the rest of the bullpen's performance was very enlightening.