What team has dealt with injuries more?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Cole Burns
Perennial All-Star

Re: What team has dealt with injuries more?

Post by Cole Burns »

maddash wrote:I think you'd have to consider the Yankees with the lose of Wang, Matsui, Hughes, etc. Of course, you wonder how much you'd actually get out of Hughes. The Dodgers with Furcal (doubt he'd come close to maintaining his early performance, but still a big lose) and Saito. The Cardinals.... Hell, just think how good the Brewers would be with Gallardo.
Good call on the Yanks. Although I don't know if they would have been much better with all their pieces.

In the NL, the Cubs have lost Soriano (twice) and Zambrano for a period of time. That seems much worse than what the Braves have gone through.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Would the Brewers have actively pursued C.C. if Gallardo hadn't been hurt? Food for thought.

TimMcCarver15
Everyday Player

Post by TimMcCarver15 »

Cole Burns wrote: In the NL, the Cubs have lost Soriano (twice) and Zambrano for a period of time. That seems much worse than what the Braves have gone through.
Not to mention Wood with his blister, now on the DL, also Ramirez with his annual injury problems, plus Rich Hill who has come down with Steve Blass/Rick Ankiel disease. Oh and their CF is currently nursing a health problem. What a shock there!

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Derosa has gotten most of the at-bats in Soriano's absence, and he's put up a .913 OPS playing left field. I don't think Soriano's injury has hurt the team as much as you might think.

It's hard to argue that anybody has had a tougher go than the Cardinals, missing one of the best starting pitchers in baseball (Carpenter) for the entire year, and a pitcher just entering his prime (Wainwright) for extended time. Than you lose the best player in the game for what......15 games? Tyler Johnson...... MIA. Kinney..... nope.

The Cardinals may not have had quite as many injuries as some teams, but they've certainly missed some key players.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

TimMcCarver15 wrote:
Cole Burns wrote: In the NL, the Cubs have lost Soriano (twice) and Zambrano for a period of time. That seems much worse than what the Braves have gone through.
Not to mention Wood with his blister, now on the DL, also Ramirez with his annual injury problems, plus Rich Hill who has come down with Steve Blass/Rick Ankiel disease. Oh and their CF is currently nursing a health problem. What a shock there!
Zambrano only missed one start, didn't he? I think A-Ram only missed about 5 games. Rich Hill's deal isn't really an "injury".

Dillagii
Perennial All-Star

Post by Dillagii »

Socnorb11 wrote:
TimMcCarver15 wrote:
Zambrano only missed one start, didn't he? I think A-Ram only missed about 5 games. Rich Hill's deal isn't really an "injury".
Z missed 2 starts, but I got your point.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Even with the bullpen wackiness, I don't think the Johnson/Kinney losses are killing them. Kinney is a former indy leaguer with some 20 MLB innings to his name and hasn't pitched since October 2006. If he's some white knight that would ride in on a horse and save their season, I'm not sure what would've made them anticipate that. They knew coming in to spring training that Johnson would miss some time, and they very quickly found Ron Villone, who has been about as good a LOOGY as TJ would've been.

Even Carpenter... as I said earlier, they knew coming in that he'd be gone until at least July.

When I think of "dealing with injuries", I think of it as "what injuries have come up that we didn't expect?"

The AW loss sucks, and Pujols' 15-day stint was a kick in the butt, but it's not crippling.