How to Fix This ****

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

How to Fix This ****

Post by Hungary Jack »

I understand Moz' reluctance to trade any prospects. I think this team has a good shot at stealing into the playoffs this year. Here is what I propose:

Carp and AW into the rotation.
Welly into the pen.
Garcia up into pen. Adios Flores.
Perez as closer.

Sign Barry Bonds.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Re: How to Fix This ****

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Hungary Jack wrote:I understand Moz' reluctance to trade any prospects. I think this team has a good shot at stealing into the playoffs this year. Here is what I propose:

Welly into the pen.
Perez as closer.

Sign Barry Bonds.
you lost me there

JoeyBombs
Everyday Player

Post by JoeyBombs »

Hungary Jack wrote:I understand Moz' reluctance to trade any prospects. I think this team has a good shot at stealing into the playoffs this year. Here is what I propose:

Welly into the pen.
Perez as closer.

Sign Barry Bonds.
1. Carp needs to be in the rotation next week...give him his regular rest and start him on Wednesday against the Braves...he can't be any worse then what we're running out there and he does seem to be healthy now....give AW two rehab starts like Carp and get him back too..
2. I agree here too, but I'll take it one step further...he needs to be the closer
3. Meh..I'd rather keep Garcia as a starter down in the minors and let him finish down there and trade for a Mahay
4. I think Perez needs to be up here, but see #2 about being the closer

No freaking way on that last portion

EDIT: I'll add a couple of my own

1. Stop this 13 pitchers crap, immediatly
2. Bring up Barden to infuse some energy and see what he can do up the middle
3. Stop playing Izturis
4. Wake up Albert from this freaking slumberfest he's in

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I stop posting how efficient Wellemeyer is in the middle of a game thread.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

I made a proposal on the Carpenter thread.

Since Garcia threw only 33 pitches tonight, he'd be good to go next Tuesday on 3 days' rest. Start him instead of Wellemeyer; put Welle into the bullpen since it's becoming increasingly clear that while he can still pitch, he just can't go more than 3 innings any more because he's "hit the wall".

I don't know that they could make him the closer immediately, though, since he'd need to transition a bit, I think, but I think they could start easing him into that role.

As I said, start Garcia on Tuesday, and then start Carpenter on Wednesday. We'd have to cut someone to make room for Carp, of course, and that would be either Flores or Thompson, most likely (barring something really drastic like DFA'ing Isringhausen - which I seriously doubt will happen).

If/when Wainwright comes back, we can decide who he replaces in the rotation - Garcia or Looper. This is assuming he actually does come back, and assuming he continues as a starting pitcher - the P-D seems to be agitating for the Cards to make him the closer a-la 2006.

Clearly, though, the Cards don't want to make a deal in which they'd have to give up a top prospect. That wasn't the plan going into this season, and for whatever reason, they seem to not want to deviate from that plan now, even though we unexpectedly wound up contending this year.

And in a way, I can understand that - but you hate to see an opportunity for some postseason action squandered...

dangerous
Perennial All-Star

Post by dangerous »

This team needs to perfect the cement mixer.

http://www.wrestlingsbest.com/movies/in ... tmixer.wmv
Last edited by dangerous on July 25 08, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

We need to do something, that's for sure. Carp to the rotation right away makes sense, but they might not do it just for medical reasons.

JoeyBombs
Everyday Player

Post by JoeyBombs »

Fat Strat wrote:We need to do something, that's for sure. Carp to the rotation right away makes sense, but they might not do it just for medical reasons.
See I just don't get that...

Not saying that you're wrong, because you're probably right

But what the heck is the difference between him throwing 5 innings in triple A and him throwing 5 innings here? The ball is the same size, his motion is the same..

I could understand if we had 5 better options in the rotation right now that we would have the luxury of taking our time with Carp, but, if he comes out of this start feeling just fine, there's no reason, medical or otherwise, that he shouldn't be starting on Wednesday

But again, you're right, they probably won't do it, doesn't mean it makes a lick of sense

Kasko
Veteran Player

Post by Kasko »

Like the Perez thing but I'm not all that enthusiastic about starters going to the pen.
Bonds could do more harm than good
Play Miles at short the rest of the way
Yes to Barden
Make a trade. Something needs to be done. Doing nothing is not an option.

Radio_Bugtussle
Perennial All-Star

Post by Radio_Bugtussle »

Hungary Jack wrote:
Sign Barry Bonds.
Maybe as the clubhouse guard. He's fast enough to chase down aging sportswriters and assorted hangers-on, but not fast enough to chase down much of anything on the ballfield.