Manny to...the Marlins?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
arnie.k
All-Star

Re: Manny to...the Marlins?

Post by arnie.k »

i have one lingering question about this:

assuming the marlins want to upgrade from hermida, and are willing to give up some prospects to do it. why not trade for bay straight up?

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

stewie13 wrote:
Tarver wrote:
Which leads me to believe this deal, as described, is hogwash.

Beinfest isn't a fool. Either Loria feels he needs to extend Manny to help the stadium/attendance situation, and is already in contact with Boras, the prospect going to Florida is better than anyone they're giving up, or Manny has agreed to at least one option year.

Otherwise, this deal makes no sense.
Exactly. The Red Sox are pissed at Manny and have very little leverage. I bet they want him to honestly believe that he could be headed to the Marlins. Of course this rumored deal would work out well for the Sox if they got Bay but it wouldn't seem to make much sense for the Marlins.

How often does Baseball Prospectus break the news on potential trades?

Is there any buyout for Manny after this season or is it just a straight club option?
Manny's contract:

Manny Ramirez of
8 years/$160M (2001-08), plus 2009-10 club options

* signed as free agent 12/00
* $16M signing bonus paid over 5 years
* 01:$13M, 02:$15.5M, 03:$18M, 04:$20.5M, 05:$20M, 06:$19M, 07:$18M, 08:$20M, 09:$20M club option, 10:$20M club option
* $1M bonus if traded
* $31M deferred ($3M in 2001, $4M each 2002-08) (paid out in 16 annual installments of $1.94M, 2011-2026)
* receives a no-trade clause if another Boston player receives one
* performance bonuses:
o $0.15M for ALCS or World Series MVP
o $0.1M for Silver Slugger
o $75,000 for All Star selection
o MVP bonuses
+ $0.2M for 1st place in voting
+ $0.125M for 2nd
+ $0.1M for 3rd
+ $75,000 for 4th (2005)
+ $50,000 for 5th
* 4 years/$10.1M (1996-99)+2000 club option (picked up 11/99)
o 96:$1.1M, 97:$2M, 98:$2.85M, 99:$4.1M, 00:$4.25M club option
* drafted 1991 (1-13)
* agent: Scott Boras (formerly Greg Genske)
* ML service: 14.033

Dillagii
Perennial All-Star

Post by Dillagii »

BW23 wrote:Who would he high five then? There's nobody in the stands.
:lol: :lol:

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

arnie.k wrote:i have one lingering question about this:

assuming the marlins want to upgrade from hermida, and are willing to give up some prospects to do it. why not trade for bay straight up?
Bay doesn't give them the star factor.

They're trying to get a stadium referendum passes. Manny's a huge star and an even bigger star in the hispanic community.

This isn't just a baseball trade.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Jason Bay has about zero star power. Manny has more than almost anyone in baseball. They want to sell tickets.

stewie13
Veteran Player

Post by stewie13 »

Magneto2.0 wrote:

Jason Bay has about zero star power. Manny has more than almost anyone in baseball. They want to sell tickets.
I think the original question is a very valid one. Why not just go for Bay straight up?

The Marlins have averaged about 16,000 fans per game every year since 1999 except for bumping up to 21,000 for the 2 years after they won their 2nd World Series. If the Marlins are making personnel moves based on the projected impact of ticket sales then they are obviously terrible at what they do. The Marlins are pretty good at accumulating good young talent.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Because the Marlins would probably still have to pay Jason Bay's salary. Which is inexpensive, but with this deal they are getting Manny for Hermida price.

This type of stuff isn't a big deal to most clubs. But when you're opening day payroll is a tick under $22 million, adding Bay is upping your payroll by 20-25%.

arnie.k
All-Star

Post by arnie.k »

stewie13 wrote:
Magneto2.0 wrote:

I think the original question is a very valid one. Why not just go for Bay straight up?

The Marlins have averaged about 16,000 fans per game every year since 1999 except for bumping up to 21,000 for the 2 years after they won their 2nd World Series. If the Marlins are making personnel moves based on the projected impact of ticket sales then they are obviously terrible at what they do. The Marlins are pretty good at accumulating good young talent.
that's the idea. winning pennants/games brings in fans.

keeping young stars for a long time brings in fans (the hanley deal is a great step in that direction).

2 months of manny (unless they renew him and keep him there for a few years), will not bring in fans beyond 2008.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Magneto2.0 wrote:

And to that extent, they will fail. The team has poisoned the well too many times by dumping well liked and talented players for nobodies. It'll take a generation to build a new fanbase.

WentCrazy
Veteran Player

Post by WentCrazy »

Am I the only one wondering what Marlins' prospects are involved?

What about Ramirez to Stl? Would the Cards take on his salary next year....