Carp Injured - Triceps Strain

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
haltz
Hall Of Famer

Re: Carp Injured - Triceps Strain

Post by haltz »

Joe Strauss wrote:Injured ace Chris Carpenter will make his latest visit to the Busch Stadium bullpen mound this afternoon. Where he is truly headed, however, remains almost as vague as when he left the sixth inning of his start Aug. 10 in Chicago.

Once hopeful that Carpenter would exit the disabled list sooner rather than later, the club is increasingly willing to acknowledge he may not be activated for several more weeks.

Carpenter conceded Tuesday that he has experienced residual weakness around his right shoulder since suffering what was described as a mild muscle strain in Chicago.

Carpenter became eligible to leave the disabled list Tuesday but has yet to throw with maximum effort, making it impossible for the club to hazard an estimate for his return.

"We all don't know the answer, so why do we have to put an answer out there?" general manager John Mozeliak said Tuesday night. "We're going to take it day by day. If it happens sooner than later, then great. If it's later, then we're not wrong."

Bizzy15
Veteran Player

Post by Bizzy15 »

08.29.2008 5:57 pm
Carp considered for relief role
By Derrick Goold
St. Louis Post-Dispatch

HOUSTON — With the schedule running out of games and the rotation running out of starts, the Cardinals have approached Chris Carpenter about returning to the team as a reliever, pitching coach Dave Duncan said Friday.

Carpenter threw a 60-pitch session Friday afternoon and left it saying he felt as good or better than in several of the starts he made. But with only one month to go in the regular season and the likelihood he could only squeeze two or three starts from Carpenter into the month, Duncan said he talked with Carpenter about finding a way for him to pitch more regularly and more immediately.

That could mean time in the bullpen.

“He may not come back as a starter,” Duncan said. “It is important for him to pitch before the season ends.”
[Link]

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

skmsw
Perennial All-Star

Post by skmsw »

today's PD wrote:Carpenter is returning from a slightly torn shoulder muscle that forced him from his third start back from elbow surgery.
I guess we all knew that was more or less what it was, but had I missed it actually being acknowledged as such?

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

“He may not come back as a starter,” Duncan said. “It is important for him to pitch before the season ends.”
Why is this important?

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Those liars.

Bizzy15
Veteran Player

Post by Bizzy15 »

He was activated today

GOOCH
Everyday Player

Post by GOOCH »

skmsw wrote:
today's PD wrote:Carpenter is returning from a slightly torn shoulder muscle that forced him from his third start back from elbow surgery.
I guess we all knew that was more or less what it was, but had I missed it actually being acknowledged as such?
I hate it when these reporters use different words to describe the same thing, because it encourages people to think the diagnosis has changed when it hasn't. A "slight tear" is *exactly* what a strain is. Now, reports have changed it from the triceps to the "teres major" (a nearby muscle of the posterior shoulder, where the triceps is also located)...but that really didn't change much from our perspective. D.GOOCH