BA: NL Best Tools

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Re: BA: NL Best Tools

Post by JL21 »

JG1982 wrote:But at the same time, doesn't what you do with those tools make you an effective pitcher? If a guy has a 100 MPH fastball and a 90 MPH slider but can't throw strikes, does he still have the "best tools" as a reliever? I would say, no..
Meh, it's subjective of course, but I'd say probably yes- the guy still has great tools. Great tools and great performance can be mutually exclusive. 9 times out of 10, they'll go hand in hand... but not always. Command is also a tool used to evaluate a pitcher and that's where it might come in for your scenario.
I think Lidge has better "tools", I think Kerry Wood has better "tools", and I think Carlos Marmol may have the best "tools" of any of those guys (however much it pains me to say that)

Here's another example of "tools" that doesn't neccesarily translate into success..

Doesn't Eric Gagne have some pretty amazing pitches? He's not even closing anymore
He used to. Not any more. Gagne now compared to where he was is night and day.

JG1982
Everyday Player

Post by JG1982 »

JL21 wrote:
JG1982 wrote:But at the same time, doesn't what you do with those tools make you an effective pitcher? If a guy has a 100 MPH fastball and a 90 MPH slider but can't throw strikes, does he still have the "best tools" as a reliever? I would say, no..
Meh, it's subjective of course, but I'd say probably yes- the guy still has great tools. Great tools and great performance can be mutually exclusive. 9 times out of 10, they'll go hand in hand... but not always. Command is also a tool used to evaluate a pitcher and that's where it might come in for your scenario.
I think Lidge has better "tools", I think Kerry Wood has better "tools", and I think Carlos Marmol may have the best "tools" of any of those guys (however much it pains me to say that)

Here's another example of "tools" that doesn't neccesarily translate into success..

Doesn't Eric Gagne have some pretty amazing pitches? He's not even closing anymore
He used to. Not any more. Gagne now compared to where he was is night and day.
I guess the next question is this then..

Does Brian Wilson really fall into YOUR top three of best NL reliever tools?

I'm guessing he doesn't, but maybe I'm wrong

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

This list comes out every year and aside from a few stalwarts, there are a lot of different people on it every year. It doesn't really mean anything.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

DiLLaGii wrote:BEST GRITTY PLAYER
1. Aaron Miles
2. Ryan Theriot
3. Felipe Lopez
Lopez is disqualified. He's not white.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Popeye_Card wrote:NL's Biggest Tool

That's where my brain went with this thread.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

AL's Biggest Tool:

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

JG1982 wrote:I guess the next question is this then..

Does Brian Wilson really fall into YOUR top three of best NL reliever tools?

I'm guessing he doesn't, but maybe I'm wrong
He wouldn't but that's more out of lack of familiarity. I really haven't seen the guy pitch at all (this is where I fess up that I was just snagging his pitch f/x data for the velocity).