2009 Hall of Fame Ballot

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
clement
Perennial All-Star

Re: 2009 Hall of Fame Ballot

Post by clement »

I vote for Craig Paquette, for the sake of Snayke, because I know he won't be able to handle Miles being the first and only Hall of Famer voted in on scrappiness alone.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

clement wrote:I vote for Craig Paquette, for the sake of Snayke, because I know he won't be able to handle Miles being the first and only Hall of Famer voted in on scrappiness alone.
Miles puts the crap back in scrappiness.*

*before I get accused of a Joey Bomb, I really just wanted an excuse to use that phrase.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

IIRC, there is a screening committee that takes all of the ten-year players and weeds out the scrubs; you have to at least have been a major-league regular for a significant portion of your ten years in the majors to "make the cut".

The screening used to be a bit more stringent, but the players' union objected and it was diluted considerably; in fact, for a while, there was no screening at all, which is how a guy like Kurt Bevacqua made the ballot one year.

However - there is a rule that is still in place that a player has to get at least 5% of the vote to remain eligible for the following year's ballot. IIRC, Willie McGee, in his first year of eligibility, made that 5% by one vote and stayed on for one more year before dropping off.

Ted Simmons, OTOH, didn't make the 5% cut on his first attempt and dropped off the ballot right away; the only way he gets in now is if the Veterans' Committee puts him in.

Anyway, the vast majority of these first-timers aren't going to get their 5% - I just don't see 23 people voting for Ron Gant - and they won't be on the ballot in January 2010.

Simbagal23
All-Star

Post by Simbagal23 »

Jmodene wrote:Ted Simmons, OTOH, didn't make the 5% cut on his first attempt and dropped off the ballot right away; the only way he gets in now is if the Veterans' Committee puts him in.
Yes, don't get me started on this....I'm still angry. I drafted a letter to the Vet Comm a while back but I never did send it. I may have to do it.....

tothebeach08
All-Star

Post by tothebeach08 »

Jmodene wrote:IIRC, there is a screening committee that takes all of the ten-year players and weeds out the scrubs; you have to at least have been a major-league regular for a significant portion of your ten years in the majors to "make the cut".

Thanks, that's exactly what I was wondering. Still surprised to see Paquette there, but whatever.

Jmodene

Post by Jmodene »

Well, now that they've changed the setup for the Veterans Committee (for about the ninety-fifth time), Simba could get voted in, so send that letter!

You may recall that for a while there, they had put in a VC rule that if you never got 40% of the vote in the BBWAA ballotting, you weren't going to be eligible for consideration by the VC - which rendered guys like Roger Maris forever (at the time) ineligible.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Where's Ron Santo? :lol:

Jmodene

Post by Jmodene »

Are Santo's 15 years of eligibility up? If so, then he's off to the VC, as is Boyer.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

cards2468 wrote:pretty sad incoming class, would the writers give in and let McGwire in? Nah, though I think he belongs...
He'd get my vote.

tenniseleven
Veteran Player

Post by tenniseleven »

seriously, though, does 'Rock' Raines make it in sometime (maybe not this year)

he had a very good career, with 2600+ hits, 800+ SB, 400+ 2B, along with a .294/.385 line..
his career also spanned the better part of 20 years and he was a useful player up until the age of 41...

he was also a pretty special LF'er defensively for quite a few years...

he might be the definition of borderline...

Omar Daal gets might vote...along with Felix Jose...