September call-ups

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
haltz
Hall Of Famer

September call-ups

Post by haltz »

Joe Strauss wrote:Mozeliak and La Russa discussed how the club would expand its roster Sept. 1. Though both parties remained reluctant to divulge specifics, it is clear there are no plans to elevate top prospect Colby Rasmus into the Cardinals' outfield mix.

Rasmus endured a difficult first half at Memphis and recently landed on the disabled list with a strained knee. He remains on a rehab assignment and is expected to soon return to Memphis. "He hasn't earned it," La Russa said regarding Rasmus' possible promotion. "Injuries are injuries, but you can't reward somebody because of it."

"It's very difficult to promote somebody who hasn't played in a month," Mozeliak said. "Still, we believe it's been a very valuable year for him."

The club probably will encourage Rasmus to play winter ball.

Reliever Randy Flores, catcher Gabe Johnson and infielder Brendan Ryan are believed locks. Reliever Kelvin Jimenez, first baseman Josh Phelps and Memphis starter Mitchell Boggs are also considered likely candidates. Third baseman David Freese, reliever Jason Motte and Olympian Brian Barden would have to be added to the 40-man roster, complicating their possible promotions.
lboros: roster ruminations

According to mlb.com, Motte is on the 40-man and Phelps isn't. I also don't understand this mentality of "earning it." I don't think it should be looked at like a reward at all. He can obviously help the team and it would be better than not playing at all for him. No-brainer I think.
Last edited by haltz on August 26 08, 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: September call-ups

Post by Jocephus »

Bernie The Hutt wrote:I wasn't there, but according to El Diablo, Tony made a comment along the lines of "Rasmus doesn't deserve to be here" in September.

I asked about the undercurrent in the organization that maybe Rasmus has to work harder to polish his skills. And Strauss did not disagree; he hears the same things.

Also, they will be sending Rasmus to play winter ball this offseason.

-B

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

Jocephus wrote:
Bernie The Hutt wrote:I wasn't there, but according to El Diablo, Tony made a comment along the lines of "Rasmus doesn't deserve to be here" in September.

I asked about the undercurrent in the organization that maybe Rasmus has to work harder to polish his skills. And Strauss did not disagree; he hears the same things.

Also, they will be sending Rasmus to play winter ball this offseason.

-B

I heard the exchange (betweeb strauss and bernie) on the bernie radio show this afternoon. it seemed like a high school gossip thing.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

wow. not exactly the 2008 I was expecting for Rasmus, and I would admit my expectations were quite a bit lower than most.

Father aside, does Colby have some demonstrated attitude issues? Maybe I missed a thread on it.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

MrSaigon wrote:wow. not exactly the 2008 I was expecting for Rasmus, and I would admit my expectations were quite a bit lower than most.

Father aside, does Colby have some demonstrated attitude issues? Maybe I missed a thread on it.
I understand keeping him down because he is coming off an injury, but I don't like TLR's wording. If Ankiel still can't run in a week and Rasmus is healthy, I see no reason why he shouldn't be called up for a taste. If Parisi could come up for meaningful games, I don't know why Colby can't for nothing games. There is also no excuse for not bringing Motte up about a month ago.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

I took at at face value: they wanted him to perform better than he did. he is injured. thus: not deserving

The whole "attitude" stuff was high school gossip.

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

I'm more angry about Motte not getting called up then I am about Rasmus not getting called up, FWIW.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Cronos69 wrote:I'm more angry about Motte not getting called up then I am about Rasmus not getting called up, FWIW.
quoted for truth

tenniseleven
Veteran Player

Post by tenniseleven »

sometimes TLR can be a bit too old-school...

I guess he has been around for a while though...

man, when was the last time this team produced a top prospect without some drama (I know Wainwright was a good prospect, but by the time he came to the Cards his stock had fallen, and not to mention that he actually came from a different organization, not the Cards)...

so really, again, when was the last time this team produced its own top prospect without a bunch of drama (Drew was Drew, Ankiels mechanics were changed and he blew up--not saying those were related--we're all familiar with Reyes)...

Maybe Matt Morris, or am I forgetting some Morris drama, or maybe forgetting a player since then

maybe all organizations go through it though

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

docellis wrote:I took at at face value: they wanted him to perform better than he did. he is injured. thus: not deserving

The whole "attitude" stuff was high school gossip.
That's the way I read it too.

Though I have a hunch that LaRussa didn't bother to choose his words very carefully because of a certain father.

I also don't see too much of a reason to get worked up over Motte yet, until we know for sure if he is or isn't going to be called up.