Check out this email I got from the Pittsburgh Pirates

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Check out this email I got from the Pittsburgh Pirates

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

phinstd wrote:
I didn't mean to insinuate the Pirates are to blame...I was merely trying to state why an organization would put out a press release like this to their season ticket holders.
I didn't take it like that. I just meant that Cadinals fans can look at stuff like this and be like, "WTF?" because most of them would have a pretty good understanding of the situation already and because of that knowledge not blame the Cardinals.

If this situation happened in StL, you could go up and ask a random fan what happened with the Alvarez situation and most would know enough to spit out:

Boras is a piece of [expletive].
Pedro is in a bad situation.
Cardinals did what they could, hope it works out. Boras sucks.

With this situation happening in Pitt, I would bet, and I don't know for sure, obviously, that if you asked a random fan what is going on, you'd get responses like:

[expletive] the Pirates.
They won't pay enough to sign their picks. Typical.
They suck. Who cares.

Obviously there's no need to send out the letter in St. Louis. But, I fully understnad why a team in Pitt's situation would do it.

Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Post by Fan_In_NY »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
phinstd wrote:
I didn't mean to insinuate the Pirates are to blame...I was merely trying to state why an organization would put out a press release like this to their season ticket holders.
I didn't take it like that. I just meant that Cadinals fans can look at stuff like this and be like, "WTF?" because most of them would have a pretty good understanding of the situation already and because of that knowledge not blame the Cardinals.

If this situation happened in StL, you could go up and ask a random fan what happened with the Alvarez situation and most would know enough to spit out:

Boras is a piece of [expletive].
Pedro is in a bad situation.
Cardinals did what they could, hope it works out. Boras sucks.

With this situation happening in Pitt, I would bet, and I don't know for sure, obviously, that if you asked a random fan what is going on, you'd get responses like:

[expletive] the Pirates.
They won't pay enough to sign their picks. Typical.
They suck. Who cares.

Obviously there's no need to send out the letter in St. Louis. But, I fully understnad why a team in Pitt's situation would do it.

I think your latter comments would be found all over the place on CT, the heartbeat of the typical fan,...

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

Remember that Boras did something similar with the Cards and Andy Benes after the 1997 season. He finally worked out a deal to bring Benes back at the last minute - actually, a few minutes after the last minute, as the deadline to re-sign Benes before (under the rules in effect at the time) we'd lose the right to re-sign him until May 1 had passed and he and the Cards requested - and received - a brief extension from MLB as the deal was so close.

Then, once the deal was made, Boras decided to ask for an extra $60K or something like that, which killed the whole thing and officially prevented Andy from re-signing with the Cards.

Boras' strategy was then to take the Cards offer - I believe it was 3/30 - and present it to the other teams as a "starting point" on their bids for Andy's services. And while for a little bit it looked like the Cubs would bite, the other teams suddenly realized - maybe MLB told them - that 3/30 was *not* the starting point, because that deal was dead - Andy could not sign a 3/30 deal because the deadline had passed and thus the 3/30 figure had been rendered moot - and so the *real* starting point was 0/0. And ultimately, Benes had to sign with the D'backs for 2/18 with a mutual option year for 2000 (which Andy declined to come back to the Cards instead).

I suspect that Boras is trying a similar approach in this case - he's going to go to the other teams when the kid hits the draft again next summer and use $6 million as the starting point for the bids. Of course, there's no guarantee that any team will touch him after this and the kid may wind up having to play in the Netherlands or someplace.

Or, perhaps, Boras is trying to have the kid declared a free agent a-la Travis Lee so he can sell him *now* to the highest bidder.
Slider wrote:Do agents think that refusing to negotiate until almost the clock strikes midnight that they force a club to accept their offer?

Kids should wake up and not let the agent control them. They do not have the players best intrest, they have their own intrest in mind.

I hope he gets Kyle Russel'd

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Jmodene wrote:Remember that Boras did something similar with the Cards and Andy Benes after the 1997 season. He finally worked out a deal to bring Benes back at the last minute - actually, a few minutes after the last minute, as the deadline to re-sign Benes before (under the rules in effect at the time) we'd lose the right to re-sign him until May 1 had passed and he and the Cards requested - and received - a brief extension from MLB as the deal was so close.

Then, once the deal was made, Boras decided to ask for an extra $60K or something like that, which killed the whole thing and officially prevented Andy from re-signing with the Cards.

Boras' strategy was then to take the Cards offer - I believe it was 3/30 - and present it to the other teams as a "starting point" on their bids for Andy's services. And while for a little bit it looked like the Cubs would bite, the other teams suddenly realized - maybe MLB told them - that 3/30 was *not* the starting point, because that deal was dead - Andy could not sign a 3/30 deal because the deadline had passed and thus the 3/30 figure had been rendered moot - and so the *real* starting point was 0/0. And ultimately, Benes had to sign with the D'backs for 2/18 with a mutual option year for 2000 (which Andy declined to come back to the Cards instead).

I suspect that Boras is trying a similar approach in this case - he's going to go to the other teams when the kid hits the draft again next summer and use $6 million as the starting point for the bids. Of course, there's no guarantee that any team will touch him after this and the kid may wind up having to play in the Netherlands or someplace.

Or, perhaps, Boras is trying to have the kid declared a free agent a-la Travis Lee so he can sell him *now* to the highest bidder.
Slider wrote:Do agents think that refusing to negotiate until almost the clock strikes midnight that they force a club to accept their offer?

Kids should wake up and not let the agent control them. They do not have the players best intrest, they have their own intrest in mind.

I hope he gets Kyle Russel'd
No way, no how, does MLB let him go as a FA. Players would pull the stunt with more regularity.

Sucks, because I like Alvarez a lot as a player...

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

Well, they're clearly trying to circumvent the draft somehow - in fact, the Players Assocation has now filed a grievance.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/dr ... 66761.html

I think what we're looking at here is a serious attempt by the union and the agents (working in cahoots with each other) to be able to have the top amateurs sign with any team they want, instead of having to be drafted-and-signed by the Nationals, the Pirates, or the Royals.

In other words, the ultimate goal may be the elimination of the draft and universal free agency for the amateurs.

tenniseleven
Veteran Player

Post by tenniseleven »

I'm failing to understand why so many players now are deciding that they would rather play in an independent league for $500/month rather than filling their pockets with millions of dollars and playing @ the highest level of baseball competition...

Boras has to be giving this kids advances in money, otherwise I just can't see a player turning down so much money...

maybe that's because I struggle everyday, from paycheck to paycheck, and can't see turning down several million dollars to play a game....

I can see the frustration from having to be in an organization like KC or WAS or something, but the quality of an organization can change rather quickly, and I'm the type of person that would love the challenge of turning around a team...

I think the players would love a free-for-all free agency, I'm just fairly certain it wouldn't be that great for baseball, and especially lower and middle income organizations...

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

tenniseleven wrote:I think the players would love a free-for-all free agency, I'm just fairly certain it wouldn't be that great for baseball, and especially lower and middle income organizations...
That would essentially eliminate 2/3 of the teams from being able to be competitive. Actually, probably closer to 4/5.