Interesting Replay Situation

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Michael
GRB Founder

Interesting Replay Situation

Post by Michael »

I thought this was an interesting situation. From Neyer:
There was a fascinating situation Friday night in San Francisco, and you might have missed it. In a nutshell … Bengie Molina hit a long drive to deep right field, and wound up on first base. Bruce Bochy sent in a pinch-runner, Emmanuel Burriss, and then asked the umpires to review the play. They did -- this was the fourth (and last) use of replay this season -- and ruled (correctly) that Molina had actually homered. But that brought up two problems: one of them technical, the other practical. Technically, nobody knew who should get credit for the run. Molina, who hit the home run? Or Burriss, who actually stepped on the plate? And practically, Bochy was incensed, because he wouldn't have removed Molina from the game if he'd initially been credited with the home run.

Bochy lodged an official protest, but that was mooted when the Giants wound up winning 6-5. The technical question still hasn't been answered, though. The official scorer apparently was told to credit the run to Burris, but the issue remains under consideration and Molina might wind up getting that run for himself. It doesn't make any difference to Molina and Burris, but MLB's going to come up with a policy anyway, which will probably include allowing a manager to rescind a player substitution if a ruling on the field is changed after review.
Link

I think the player substitution should be rescinded and the HR should be credited to Molina.

TabascoElvis
Perennial All-Star

Re: Interesting Replay Situation

Post by TabascoElvis »

Why did Bochy pull the trigger so quick on the switch? Can't have been that long before discussion began regarding a review of the play.

KyCardinalFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by KyCardinalFan »

I agree Tabasco. If he thought the play was reviewable, he should have asked for that first. Doesn't make sense as it's written, wonder how it played out real-time.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

The terms "fascinating" and "replay" should never be used in conjuction with each other. There is nothing more mind numbing then watching a review of any kind in a sport. I simply can not stomach watching an NFL replay, or hearing announcers discussing the strategy of whether to throw the flag or not. I see baseball heading down this path already.

As far as the play concerned above, we are asking to analyze whether Bochy has a legit gripe or whether he handled it incorrectly. So here we have it, one of the slowest men in the league at second base according to the initial call of the umpire and Bochy decides to PR. What exactly baseball-wise did Bochy screw up here? Are we already at the point of the NFL, analyzing things other than baseball?

Of all the numskull ideas baseball has come up with - this is by far the worst. Keep the DH, expand IL play, expland playoffs to 16 games. But get this dang review stuff out of the game!

Just my opinion of course, but of course my opinion is right.

Bo Hart
Perennial All-Star

Post by Bo Hart »

Instant replay is just what the sport needed -- great way to spice up and intensify the game. Definitely adds appeal to the young, technology-oriented crowd.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Jim, in the old days a home run went out of the park. Today a home run bounces over a line. Maybe instead of replay they simply change the rule to require the ball to leave the playing field to be a homer.

There. Does that satisfy your Luddite soul?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

jim wrote: Of all the numskull ideas baseball has come up with - this is by far the worst. Keep the DH, expand IL play, expland playoffs to 16 games. But get this dang review stuff out of the game!
Replay doesn't really bother me that badly. And, it is far from the worst decisions mlb has ever made. This isn't even Selig's worst. In all seriousness though, selig shoud step down and let the ESPN fan poll run mlb since that's what he does anyway.....this way mlb wouldn't have to pay him though.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

lukethedrifter wrote:Jim, in the old days a home run went out of the park. Today a home run bounces over a line. Maybe instead of replay they simply change the rule to require the ball to leave the playing field to be a homer.

There. Does that satisfy your Luddite soul?
That's another subject, but the construction of some of these parks pretty much invites controversy. It's like they went out of their way in places to make it as difficult as possible.

I can not overstate my hatred for instant replay in baseball. On so many levels it's bad for the game.

tothebeach08
All-Star

Post by tothebeach08 »

I hate to think that these replays are going to slow the game down, but the most important thing is to get the call right. On the other hand, I do like the "human" part of the calls. The fact that there is human error is part of playing games, as long as the human error favors my team.

When they do these reviews, do they show the replay in the stadium on the screen?

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

No - there's an MLB rule against showing "controversial" plays on the big screen, dating back to 1977, when Danny Kaye (when he was part owner of the Mariners) tried to do so in Seattle and incited the crowd in so doing.

As for human error being part of the game, well sure - but I sure with they had replay in effect leading off the bottom of the 9th in Game Six some 23 years ago... (sigh)